Spool centering problem on a narrow jigmaster build

Started by Big Tim, January 04, 2017, 11:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Now you're getting where most everyone else is. Keep the bearing and add a shim on the right side.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

where did it start rubbing?  are the shoulders of the spool contacting the inner race of the bearing?  What happens if you shim the bearing between the bearing and the bearing cup?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cortez_Conversions

Here's what a stock set of bushings look like Tim.

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Bryan Young

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 05, 2017, 05:37:36 AM
Here's what a stock set of bushings look like Tim.

Would a ball bearing and collar shims work here so there's better freespool?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

PacRat

I may be missing something here but here's my take:

You seem to indicate that it's possible to center the spool with the bearing cups. "if we adjust the bearing cup to center the spool"

But then this happens "the drag star hits the cup at about 1/3 drag"...So have you tried a longer spacing sleeve between the drag stack and the star so that the star won't hit the cup?

If this doesn't work; then I would suggest following Bryan's suggestion of trying a bearing with a collar shim or Jerry's plastic sleeve on the shaft.

Good luck
-Mike

Alto Mare

Tim, that's enough, put that darn reel in the box and send it over...just kidding ;D.
There are many things to look at and not just the bearings, it is very hard for us to determine what's going on with that reel, unless we have it in our hands.
For me to help, and I'm sure everyone else, you need to show many pics, as how close to the right does the spool move, or left.
You have also mentioned the star, if the bearing cup is not sticking out from the housing, the problem could be related to your spacer sleeve, as Mike has mentioned.
Hang in there, you'll get it worked out, just don't toss it in the ocean ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

pjstevko

Tim if your get frustrated and wanna ship the reel to any of the other reel jedi masters I'll cover the shipping and off course any new parts needed to remedy the problem

Big Tim

Quote from: pjstevko on January 05, 2017, 03:44:19 PM
Tim if your get frustrated and wanna ship the reel to any of the other reel jedi masters I'll cover the shipping and off course any new parts needed to remedy the problem

PJ, good morning & no frustration at all. As I stated Tom was right from the beginning about the bushing, I just like to overthink things before I break out a file  ;D I would love to find another bushing so that I have a back up. I do like my theory of cutting the bushing from the backside and retaining the strength of the front side, but making the bushing look like Tom's picture is very easy to do.

Have a great day.

Tim

mizmo67

Quote from: Big Tim on January 05, 2017, 03:22:36 AM
OK the thingy rides on the spool shaft and I notice the the spool shaft has about 1/16" before it protrudes from the thingy...Note to self "Tom is right we have the wrong Thingy"

I love you guys and the highly technical term "thingy" :)
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

reel man

Quote from: mizmo67 on January 05, 2017, 06:39:53 PM
Quote from: Big Tim on January 05, 2017, 03:22:36 AM
OK the thingy rides on the spool shaft and I notice the the spool shaft has about 1/16" before it protrudes from the thingy...Note to self "Tom is right we have the wrong Thingy"

I love you guys and the highly technical term "thingy" :)
[/quote

That's just short for "thingamabob"]

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Big Tim

Update....Tom from Cortez Conversions reached out to me and says he may have a set of Lee Pro bushings  ;D Your'e the best Tom.

BT

Maxed Out

Quote from: Big Tim on January 05, 2017, 05:05:05 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on January 05, 2017, 04:02:17 AM
Try replacing the bushing with a bearing and reassemble. The pinion will not go anywhere as the joke is holding it in place.

Bryan I did that and although the spacing was correct it started rubbing on the handle side?

Tim

Is that the spool hitting the tips of the bridge screws ?? That can happen with Tib spools. Just shave the tips down a bit if you see the scrape marks inside the spool
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

Quote from: MarkT on January 05, 2017, 08:45:04 PM
I always those were called a doohickey.

In SoCal we call them "Ching-A-Deras"     ;D ;D ;D   
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

richard

"whats-its" and if it doesn't fit we use an adjective as well.