Spool centering problem on a narrow jigmaster build

Started by Big Tim, January 04, 2017, 11:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Thingy ay, if it dont work its a bugga, when it works good, its a beauty. cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

Cortez_Conversions

Tim,
Was this reel actually functioning with other parts?

You do have the proper bushing on the pinion side, I looked at a couple of my reels.
On both of my reels, the cups are sticking out of the plates a bit. I think you may just need a longer spacer sleeve(9-60) to get your star to load up quicker.
After re-reading your post, you said you could get the spool centered, but the star would hit the cup at 1/3 drag.

I'm going to tinker a little bit more.
Shoot me a PM with your address.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Bryan Young

Tim, what is the OD of the smaller portion of the spool shaft?  And what is the depth of the bearing cup.  I could possibly send you shaft collars for the spool side of the bearing, and spacers for the bearing cap side of the bearing for fine adjustments.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pjstevko

Big Tim

Tom from Cortez Conversions sent me some new bushings & first of all thank you, secondly his bushings were exactly what I thought... A bit shorter on the back side of the bushing. Been dealing with a family illness & haven't had a chance to get back to PJ's reel, but I am confident we will be able to fix the centering issue..PJ I will post pics and reach out to you as soon as I'm done  ;D

BT

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Big Tim on January 15, 2017, 08:43:29 PM
Tom from Cortez Conversions sent me some new bushings & first of all thank you, secondly his bushings were exactly what I thought... A bit shorter on the back side of the bushing. Been dealing with a family illness & haven't had a chance to get back to PJ's reel, but I am confident we will be able to fix the centering issue..PJ I will post pics and reach out to you as soon as I'm done  ;D

BT
Tim,
I sent you two sets.
The first set is a copy of the stock Lee Pro bushings.
The second set, I trimmed down the thickness so the bearing cups fit closer to flush with the side plates.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

pjstevko

BT

Tim take care of your family first and foremost,  family comes first before anything else!

I was just curious......

Thanks again for taking on this issue for me.... I'll pay ya back

Pj

Big Tim

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 15, 2017, 09:17:27 PM
Tom from Cortez Conversions sent me some new bushings & first of all thank you, secondly his bushings were exactly what I thought... A bit shorter on the back side of the bushing. Been dealing with a family illness & haven't had a chance to get back to PJ's reel, but I am confident we will be able to fix the centering issue..PJ I will post pics and reach out to you as soon as I'm done  ;D

BT
Tim,
I sent you two sets.
The first set is a copy of the stock Lee Pro bushings.
The second set, I trimmed down the thickness so the bearing cups fit closer to flush with the side plates.
Tom

Tom your'e the best...I did notice the different sizes..I'm home now and will mess with fitment tonight or tomorrow ... Thanks again bud. I wish I had a working mini lathe and i would have made the bushings myself.

Tim

Big Tim

Quote from: pjstevko on January 15, 2017, 09:31:11 PM

BT

Tim take care of your family first and foremost,  family comes first before anything else!

I was just curious......

Thanks again for taking on this issue for me.... I'll pay ya back

Pj

PJ, sorry for the delay..Mom is having some issues an I have the POA, I'll get the reel right ASAP bro & you owe Tom lunch not me  ;D

BT

pjstevko

No hurry on the reel Tim,  Ling season doesn't start for a couple months  ;D

I guess I owe both Tom and Tim.... This could get pricy!

Big Tim

Quote from: pjstevko on January 15, 2017, 11:33:46 PM
No hurry on the reel Tim,  Ling season doesn't start for a couple months  ;D

I guess I owe both Tom and Tim.... This could get pricy!

;D

theswimmer

Tim,
Remember Little Bro Jeff has got us covered as far as  lathe, mill, end mill ,plasma cutter etc.
Brother Jeff has about twice as many machines as anyone can cram in a 3 car garage....
Plus the capability to weld any material.
Hope Mom is OK.
Let me know what I can do.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Big Tim

OK reel is fixed  ;D Thank you Tom at Cortez Conversions...The bushings pictured are of the standard sized bushings,I used the bushings that were shorter on the back side of the bushing on the left

This gave me the ability to properly center the spool and enough clearance on the drag star to have full drag

Cool reel PJ

BT

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Very good T&T! Great job finding and solving the problem ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.