Spool centering problem on a narrow jigmaster build

Started by Big Tim, January 04, 2017, 11:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

OK so I have PJ's reel in front of me and the problem we have is centering the spool. The spool needs to move towards the handle more which is simple, but! This reel has Lee Pro side plates, Tiburon P21 frame, we believe a Tiburon narrow spool, custom handle and drag star by Adam and if we adjust the bearing cup to center the spool the drag star hits the cup at about 1/3 drag. The bearing cups are bearing on the clicker side and bushing on the handle side (both the bearing and bushing are bottomed out in the cups). What next? Are all bearing cups created equal?

If the bearing cup for the handle side was 1/16" deeper we would be money.

Bt

The reel:

The bearing cups:

Cortez_Conversions

The Lee Pro Plates had two different length bushings, maybe you have the wrong one?
I'm assuming you tried a bearing in the handle side as well?
Worst case, file down the bushing a bit at a time.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Big Tim

Tom, yes I put a bearing in the handle side and that fixes the centering but then your'e putting pressure on the pinion, so it needs the bushing to inside the pinion...Anyone got a different Lee Pro bushing? I'm sure there a million of them out there  ;D

BT

P.S. Tom you guys need to stop selling me that Grappa  ;D

handi2

The easiest way is to shim under the bearing. Sal also sent me some Delrin "dots" that are punched out in different thicknesses. These you can use pushed inside the bearing down into the bearing cup. They are the same size as the inner dimension of the bearing. The spool ends will ride easily on the Delrin shims.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

What is that brass insert thingy?  You may have to shave that insert thingy and the spool shaft length.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Big Tim

Bryan that thingy goes inside the pinion and the spool shaft slides into said thingy  ;D Maybe we have an incorrect spool? I do know that if I flip the thingy inside the cup the spool will center and both cups are nearly at the same depth in the side plates, but then the bushing or bearing will rub on the pinion  >:( ... If only I had a mini lathe.

TIM

Alto Mare

Tim, if you take a look at the spool shaft, there should be a shoulder where that thingy(  ;D  ) hits. Maybe shaving a little of the tip on the tinghy will cure it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

Sal that's where we're at now, but would you file the front or the rear of the thingy?

Tim

Alto Mare

Quote from: Big Tim on January 05, 2017, 01:27:31 AM
Sal that's where we're at now, but would you file the front or the rear of the thingy?

Tim
Front Tim, but first pull the thingy out of the cup and place it on the spool shaft, if it's not hitting the shoulder t will be a lost cause. In case it is resting against it, it will definitely help.

By the way, your problem is the complete opposite from everyone else problem ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2017, 01:45:01 AM
Quote from: Big Tim on January 05, 2017, 01:27:31 AM

Tim
Front Tim, but first pull the thingy out of the cup and place it on the spool shaft, if it's not hitting the shoulder t will be a lost cause. In case it is resting against it, it will definitely help.

By the way, your problem is the complete opposite from everyone else problem ;D

Thanks, I feel so much better now Sal  ;D ... Good call on pulling the thingy and checking where it hits.

BT

reel man

Your spool appears to be an equivalent to a Penn 501, and was designed to go into a reel using bushings.

I have plastic sleeves that converts the spool to work with bearings.

Big Tim

OK before grinding on PJ's reel we need a bit more knowledge...As Petty Officer Griff always said "What's you clearance Clarence?" ... So I need to know what and where my clearances are? How much material can I take off and where? How does it all fit & does it do?

I need to know if the thingy rides on the spool shaft shoulder and what will that tell me? It will tell me where I can remove material and some of the effect on the reel:

OK the thingy rides on the spool shaft and I notice the the spool shaft has about 1/16" before it protrudes from the thingy...Note to self "Tom is right we have the wrong Thingy"

"Clearance Clarence" How much room do we have from the pinion to the spool pawl? This tell how much material we actually can remove and keep proper clearances:

Not a lot of room here boys and girls, too much off and we could get the pawl hitting the pinion in free spool:

Just to see what would happen if I remove material from the Thingy on the backside lowering the pinion into the cup I need to know will the pinion fit into the bearing cup and will the pinion ride smoothly on the face of the Thingy.

First I put grease on the Thingy:

Then I spin the pinion on the Thingy to check for where it makes contact. I notice that there is grease on the outside of where the pinion made contact, this is good to know, the pinion will fit into the bearing cup:

yup the pinionslides right in:

Knowing this information tells me Tom is most likely correct that we have the wrong bushing. I know would say if we can't find a different Thingy/Bushing the best place to remove material is fro'm the backside of the Thingy and possibly with the Thingy inside the bearing cup and remove equal amounts of material from both:

Now to figure out a way to keep everything square and get to grinding:

Thanks for laboring thru my brain  ;D Peace out

BT

Big Tim

Quote from: reel man on January 05, 2017, 03:07:35 AM
Your spool appears to be an equivalent to a Penn 501, and was designed to go into a reel using bushings.

I have plastic sleeves that converts the spool to work with bearings.

I would like to see what you have & maybe give it a try...The reel isn't going fishing for a while.

Thanks, Tim

Bryan Young

Try replacing the bushing with a bearing and reassemble. The pinion will not go anywhere as the joke is holding it in place.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Big Tim

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 05, 2017, 04:02:17 AM
Try replacing the bushing with a bearing and reassemble. The pinion will not go anywhere as the joke is holding it in place.

Bryan I did that and although the spacing was correct it started rubbing on the handle side?

Tim