A weird question for chemists and/or those who live in COLD places

Started by lifeofRiley, January 18, 2017, 06:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeofRiley

I was recently thinking about the problems associated with fishing during sub freezing temperatures. When the air is cold and the water is still warm it's not a big deal. But when you're out in 25 degree weather and the water is 34 degrees it becomes an issue very quickly. I was recently researching frozen line guides, and frozen reels, and looking for the best ways to keep them functioning when the mercury drops. I've seen the usual comments about spraying the line and guides with wd-40 but I think it evaporates or dissipates in a short time, and I wouldn't want to spray it in aerosol form directly on the spool of my spinning reel for fear of it entering the reel body and dissolving grease, varnishing, etc. Another suggestion and many people say this is the best, is to spray PAM non-stick cooking spray(canola oil) directly on rod guides before fishing, then wipe off the excess. Last but not least, and one I am very interested in, is spraying your rod guides and reel down with anti-freeze. This also has good promise, but am curious what this would do to a reel. Now, since some of you might already be scratching your head, let me point out I'm talking about RV anti-freeze, the kind that is used in water pipes in RVs, homes, boats, and also food processing equipment. It is safe to ingest and often labeled "non-toxic", although I'm not going to go out and gulp any down. The chemical is Propylene glycol and it is a synthetically produced organic compound. If you have any input on any of this please comment. I'm going to do some more research and see what I come up with. Thank you.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

oc1

I don't know anything about cold, but propylene glycol is soluble in water so it seems like the water wiped off the line as it passes through the guides would just wash it off.  Coating with something oil based or wax based would allow any ice crystals to fall away.  
-steve

sdlehr

I agree with Steve, the propylene glycol would wash away. If you coat the guides with something hydrophobic (water-hating), like silicone spray (maybe my first experiment), the ice will build more slowly, but it may still eventually build up. All you need is a frozen water droplet to stick to the guide and then more water will stick to that droplet and the whole thing will grow.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

theswimmer

I am sure our resident toxicologist,  aka The Boss ,will pop in here but Propylene Glycol is far from non toxic.
Here is a quote from the MSDS.

Potential Acute Health Effects: Hazardous in case of ingestion. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant), of inhalation.
Potential Chronic Health Effects: Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (sensitizer). CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance may be toxic to central nervous system (CNS). Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

Toxic to humans and animals....Although there is conflicting data on how toxic , I still avoid products that list it as an ingredient.

https://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927239

Best ,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Keta

Canola oil makes good cutting oil and cuts salmon egg goo but it dries into a very hard to remove "varnish"  I would not recommend using it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tholmes

Quote from: sdlehr on January 18, 2017, 12:04:41 PM
I agree with Steve, the propylene glycol would wash away. If you coat the guides with something hydrophobic (water-hating), like silicone spray (maybe my first experiment), the ice will build more slowly, but it may still eventually build up. All you need is a frozen water droplet to stick to the guide and then more water will stick to that droplet and the whole thing will grow.

Sid

I've used silicone spray and it does work. I don't know about any effect it may have on fishing line, though.

Tom

Dominick

The easy answer is don't go fishing when the temperature is below freezing.   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on January 18, 2017, 05:59:01 PM
The easy answer is don't go fishing when the temperature is below freezing.   ::)  Dominick

Not always an option, I need to drive south though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Use of cold weather specific fishing lines, and reel grease helps here.

Never tried coating tye line guides with anything, but a teflon type waterproofing type product may help?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Wolli

I prefer fishing in tropical regions, but some of my "crazy" friends travel during winter time to Norway.... and i prepare their reels.

The troubles you describe are well known. Reels not properly greased/oiled fail. Oil and grease sticks.

would like to recommend:

1) for the rod guides use the same stuff used for de-icing car windows. No special expensive stuff required. Will not harm to mono or braid.
2) I got a sample (unknown product name) low temperature oil from a local manufacturer which is good up to minus 40 degrees celsius. Check out what the military use in their automatic rifles in cold regions or google for low temperature oil.

After several tests with different greases in a freezer can recommend MOLYKOTE 33 Extreme Low Temperature Grease. Stays soft up to minus 73 degrees celsius. Since mostly unknown with which grease the original bearings are filled, recommend to buy a complete set of not shielded bearings and fill with the same grease.
After the season store them for the season and replace the original bearings.

Finally put the reel for two hours in a freezer, but everything should be fine if well done.

Good Luck
Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

oc1

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

theswimmer

Quote from: oc1 on January 18, 2017, 08:02:27 PM
Jonathan, shampoo often has propylene glycol.
-steve

not my shampoo....
Even tooth paste amd makeup often have as an ingredient,  just not the stuff Miss Mari and I use 😇
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn