Power drivers...

Started by Alto Mare, January 19, 2017, 05:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Just opened this reel up and here is what I found:

I have no doubts this happened with a powered screwdriver, those just can't be trusted.
You guys do as you wish,I'm sticking with a manual screwdriver.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

It takes a light touch.  With my bad hands I run them in loose and then tighten them by hand. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

Sal my hands hurt each morning after non stop assembly. I use the Milwaukee M5 with the clutch all the way down. Its only hand tight because Ive been using it for 4 years now. With the clutch all the way down on my new one it is to tight for carefull assembly.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

For you guys with arthritic hands you may want to try this tool. 080-000-513WB
Magna-Tip Ratchet Handle

Mfr Part: WRST4 From www.brownells.com

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

I'm with you, Sal! Non-vintage reels will have minimal collectible value down the line if the screw heads are all buggered, threads stripped or plates and/or bodies all scratched & scraped, but then I'm into old reel collecting.  ;)  I'd be a pretty irritated client, though, if my fairly new reel came back all buggered up.    :( 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on January 19, 2017, 05:08:09 PM
Sal my hands hurt each morning after non stop assembly. I use the Milwaukee M5 with the clutch all the way down. Its only hand tight because Ive been using it for 4 years now. With the clutch all the way down on my new one it is to tight for carefull assembly.
I would understand in your case Keith.
This isn't about knowing how to use a power drive, I've been using power tools for over 40 years.
I've tried different ones, all to me have the lowest torque settings too high for these reels.
I was doing as Lee mentioned, stopping before it gets tight and proceed with a handheld screwdriver, that got old quick.
I will proceed doing mine by hand, for you guys that depend on power drivers... be careful.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 19, 2017, 05:45:03 PMfor you guys that depend on power drivers... be careful.

Sal

Yup.

When I was a powerhouse mechanic I would give the wiremen hell about using power screwdrivers until I was told that carpel tunnel was a issue for them.  I still gave them hell about carrying their tools in a purse though.

Mark Twain

foakes

Good advice, Sal --

And you are absolutely right about the damage a power driver can do.

Over the years, I have and continue to use both a power driver and manual drivers -- each has its place.

For me, it boils down to the reel -- is it a valuable collector -- or a charter winch on a cattle barge?

If I am doing a dozen reels for a Charter operation -- Penn GTIs, LBs, Jigs, etc. -- I can disassemble a reel completely, separate it into solutions for the ultrasonic -- clean it for 9 minutes -- rinse and dry -- reassemble in 25 minutes.  Plus be working on the next disassemble while the first one is being cleaned.  With a power driver, full disassembly down to the last small part takes 5 minutes, max...

I never use a power driver on a new build such as a Quick, ABU, Mitchell, International, Pro-Gear, Accurate, Avet, Cortez Build, and anything that a scratch may diminish the value of.

On small newer spinners -- I never use the power driver -- since the screws are typically cheap zinc phillips.

My best power driver is a Milwaukee M12 -- had it for 8 years of constant use on reels as well as any carpenter, electrician, or handyman use -- bulletproof...I keep it on the lowest clutch setting, and can hold and activate the clutch with my fingers.  Variable from 0-500 RPMs.

Even with the power driver, I finish up the final assembly, testing of functions, and torquing screws before bagging with a manual driver -- because I know where the screw should snug up by feel -- like most of us.

Like most of us, I have hundreds of screwdrivers -- and one of my favorites is this Craftsman ratchet driver that I bought nearly 30 years ago.  I can keep constant and steady pressure on the screw -- without moving it from the slotting.  Forward, reverse, or manual setting in the middle.

And like most of us -- I know how to handle a power driver -- all of the speeds, clutching -- pressure needed -- feathering the trigger -- small bursts instead of full out speed -- the feel for the screw and material it is going into -- using it as a leveraged manual screwdriver to break the bond initially, then just easing the screw out with steady pressure -- knowing when to back off -- and probably a dozen other things that are just natural as we know our tools well.

However, a manual driver is still my go to driver for the majority of my work with the exception of mass production of reels for charters --

Just my opnions...

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Sal you didn't take that apart to get me a plate did you??!!

oc1

Another problem with power drivers is you loose so much sensitivity.  A plain old screw driver is telegraphing information to your fingers about the condition of the threads as you turn it.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: thorhammer on January 19, 2017, 08:06:20 PM
If I wasn't able to, I would have told you I couldn't do it. I'll be ok, I have a couple of dozen laying around somewhere ;) ;D.

Funny Fred :), I've had that same craftsman screwdriver for over 30 years.  I remember it because it was a gift  from my wife along with some other craftsman tools on our first annyversary.
I'm guessing she wanted to make sure I didn't have any excuses  not to go to work ::).
If I remember correctly, mine came as a set of two, one was the push drill with bits in the handle. I can't find that one.

Sal

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 19, 2017, 08:23:03 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on January 19, 2017, 08:06:20 PM
If I wasn't able to, I would have told you I couldn't do it. I'll be ok, I have a couple of dozen laying around somewhere ;) ;D.

Funny Fred :), I've had that same craftsman screwdriver for over 30 years.  I remember it because it was a gift  from my wife along with some other craftsman tools on our first annyversary.
I'm guessing she wanted to make sure I didn't have any excuses  not to go to work ::).
If I remember correctly, mine came as a set of two, one was the push drill with bits in the handle. I can't find that one.

Sal

Man you're bringing back memories now, Sal, and bad ones, too! I remember using a Yankee screw driver https://www.google.com/search?q=yankee+screwdriver&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS583US583&espv=2&biw=1229&bih=587&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjVr7Pgjc_RAhVs1oMKHVNFAuoQ_AUICCgD for hanging doors, etc., back in the day. Talk about pinched fingers, blood blisters and swearing!  ;) The first "God Send" was Phillips screw heads, but there was still a few choice words thrown around now and then. Smiles finally came with the advent of the variable speed drill. I still have my original 2 Craftsmans from around 1970ish. Still, though, they would slip off the screw head every now and then.  >:(   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)