Teaser for Tomorrow

Started by ChileRelleno, January 24, 2017, 12:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Getting ready to fire up the smoker in the AM.
I have a big ten pound butt all ready to go low-n-slow with hickory.

Rub
1C Brown sugar
1C Smoked Paprika
3/4C Seasoned salt
2T Garlic and Onion powders

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Swami805

Ten pounds of heaven right there! We have good weather and nice beaches here but can't get BBQ to save our lives. I'm jealous
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Quote from: Swami805 on January 24, 2017, 02:43:59 AM
Ten pounds of heaven right there! We have good weather and nice beaches here but can't get BBQ to save our lives. I'm jealous
Don't be jealous, just follow John's recipes and do your own.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Quote from: Swami805 on January 24, 2017, 02:43:59 AM

well now, I'm in your state...

ChileRelleno

Y'all can cook this in your oven and have it come out sweet, succulent and smoky too.

Use either liquid smoke, or smoked salts.
I recommend the smoked salts, you can either wet/dry brine or add the salts to the rub.
Then just cook on a grate at 225'-250' in your oven till all those fats and collagen dissolve into juicy, tender deliciousness.
A steam tray below the meat will help keep it moist, and catch drippings too.

Smoked Salts

https://www.seasalt.com/gourmet-salt/smoked-salt.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA8JbEBRCz2szzhqrx7H8SJAC6FjXX95hzWGb3Lim5zdlYy39HC87x7CHZDze67iOGxs0ZLhoCpx7w_wcB

http://www.sfsalt.com/smoked-sea-salts?gclid=CjwKEAiA8JbEBRCz2szzhqrx7H8SJAC6FjXX--2C0sTGw6cfAreZaepiKO-sfUSjATXWu0N20dUDNRoCLxvw_wcB

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

It went in the smoker at 0545, dinner around 1800 and satisfied belly about 1830-45.
First basting around 1000, maybe I'll get a pic then.

Since I had to be up early to start this smoke, I made a fine breakfast for the family.

Sunnyside eggs
Crunchy hashbrowns with onion/bell pepper
Corned beef hash
Orange juice with extra pulp.
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

This cook is being done a about 225'F over Hickory.
I just basted with a 50/50 mix of Apple/Orange juice.

Ragnar Benson:

Reel 224

Chile: I have also smoked buts similar to what you have done and I have to tell you. You have my mouth watering so bad my fingers are slipping of the key pads.

I love reading your posts on cooking. I'm waiting for whats next.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

this reminds me I have an 8lber sitting in the freezer that needs to defrost.
Lookin good John!

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

Dang!!! :P
Still not worthy of my own Cooking Thread. Dustin and I got down this past weekend the best way I know how with the time available.
Choice Cut Ribeye, Baked Potato, Salad, Shrimp, Crab Legs and Crab Cakes.
Gotta Go Surf and Turf! :P

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Not worthy my arse.
That is a danged fine meal, and you've pics to go with it.
Don't play at being so humble, post a thread.
Ragnar Benson:

RowdyW

Daron, it looks like you have to make more room for such a fine dinner. Sometimes the reel goodies have to take a back seat.      Rudy

thorhammer

crap. i'm eating Garden Inn hotel food. ya'lls are killin me ....

STRIPER LOU

Chile, that looks so good. Gracie does a great job on Lechon Assado. I'm headed to Stop & Shop this morning as they have pork shoulder on sale for .89 cents a pound.

Haven't seen that price in years! Keep it up Bud, your doing great! ;)