Luck

Started by Benni3, January 24, 2017, 03:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabaman1

Benni, whats the best technique for catching large bluegill? Im really anxious to target them this summer with the ultralight now that the trout season ended here in San diego.
JIM

Benni3

Quote from: sabaman1 on May 21, 2022, 02:21:35 PMBenni, whats the best technique for catching large bluegill? Im really anxious to target them this summer with the ultralight now that the trout season ended here in San diego.
Nightcrawlers is the go to,,,, ;) but live minnows is best,,,,,small black Mr twisters no wieght or top water flys work to,,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

Benni doesn't realize that our here in Cali that minnows is basically a crime....  :D - john

Gfish

Ha! How about tiny live frogs? I swear this works. And it's exciting when they hit 'em on the surface.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Quote from: Gfish on May 23, 2022, 01:56:03 AMHa! How about tiny live frogs? I swear this works. And it's exciting when they hit 'em on the surface.
Not that I'm all that conscious,,,, :D I did frogs before and they kept trying to pull the hook out with their little hands it was to cruel for me,,,, :-[ It was like a house pet being touched,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

Quote from: sabaman1 on May 21, 2022, 02:21:35 PMBenni, whats the best technique for catching large bluegill? Im really anxious to target them this summer with the ultralight now that the trout season ended here in San diego.
In all seriousness one of my "go to's" for panfish here in SoCal on the ultralight is meal worms under a tiny bobber.  Can keep kids (and grownup kids) entertained for hours that way. - john

Gfish

May be too late this year, and unethical, but find their springtime nesting area and run something threatening looking through there.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sabaman1

Thanks Benni, I haven't tried the nightcrawlers yet. Been using the mealworms on the various crappie jigs but they have only been getting the smaller fish to bite. Also the black mr.twister technique under a small bobber might work really well for me. I will try to post some pictures when I get some monster bluegills.
JIM

mo65

When we catch 'gills for catfish bait, we use meal worms. Sometimes we tip a jig with one.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

It was raining 13mpg and we got 1 after another for 1 1/2hrs then the bites just stopped,,,, ;) but that's ok,,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

Quote from: sabaman1 on May 23, 2022, 02:15:30 PMThanks Benni, I haven't tried the nightcrawlers yet. Been using the mealworms on the various crappie jigs but they have only been getting the smaller fish to bite. Also the black mr.twister technique under a small bobber might work really well for me. I will try to post some pictures when I get some monster bluegills.
The mr twister trick is no bobber just cast it out and give it small pulls and they nail it,,,,,, ;) but a good dry fly is the easiest and the funniest,,,,,, ;D

sabaman1

Quote from: Benni3 on May 24, 2022, 02:55:38 AM
Quote from: sabaman1 on May 23, 2022, 02:15:30 PMThanks Benni, I haven't tried the nightcrawlers yet. Been using the mealworms on the various crappie jigs but they have only been getting the smaller fish to bite. Also the black mr.twister technique under a small bobber might work really well for me. I will try to post some pictures when I get some monster bluegills.
The mr twister trick is no bobber just cast it out and give it small pulls and they nail it,,,,,, ;) but a good dry fly is the easiest and the funniest,,,,,, ;D

Thanks Benni! :fish
JIM

Benni3

Quote from: sabaman1 on May 25, 2022, 08:31:11 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on May 24, 2022, 02:55:38 AM

Thanks Benni! :fish
You are welcome my friend,,,,, ;D

Benni3

It was slow today but Larry got a 3lb largemouth and a 2.5lb hybrid,,, ;) I got 1 hybrid and 1 cat,,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

Good trip!  And I have to tell you after Jurelometer gave me advice on cooking catfish, that one you caught is looking perfect for the pot! - john