Pasta Frijoles

Started by Reel 224, January 24, 2017, 05:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Lou: Gave me the inspiration to cook Pasta Frijoles for lunch this afternoon and this is what it looked like.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ChileRelleno

Looks good from here, looks like serious comfort food.
Tell me what all's in it.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

STRIPER LOU

Looks great Joe! Sometimes I'll cook down some sausage meat or ground pork and ground beef and add that to the mix. Gracie like meatballs too. And of course hot pepper flakes, EVOO, and pecorino romano.

Oh well, and the kitchen sink too!

I was tempted to get my spoon and reach right into that picture!

Just finished removing 3" of ice and snow from the driveway and a  bowl of that would go great with a shot of brandy to wash it all down!

Have a good afternoon,  ..  Lou

Alto Mare

Good stuff Lou! When Mom made pasta e fagioli, or pasta e fasciuol... dialect, she cooked the beens this way, some still do today:

There was always a couple of piece of pork rind in that pignata to bring it home :).
That dish will sure warm your soul.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Chile: It's a simple recipe.
1/4 cup EVOO
1-whole onion
2-small carrots
1-stalk of celery
3-cloves of garlic
3-quarts tomato puree
3-16oz cans Kidney beans
1-pound macaroni elbow/tubetti or others depends on your likes
1-cup of vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste, I add Basile and Italian seasoning and also hot pepper flakes.

Boil the macaroni separately
saute the vegetables in EVOO till onion are translucent then add vegetable broth, let it come to the boil add the tomato bring that to the boil, last add the beans and pasta.

You can pecorino romano and croutons also.

Lou you already no how to cook it so I'll leave it to you. We were lucky with this storm we just had rain and wind up to 50-60Mph, we had no damage but the shore like got hit pretty bad. We are 12 miles inland so no flooding to worry about.

Joe

Sal; you just upped one notch. Thanks for sharing that.     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Good recipe Joe, mines a bit different but they're all good.  On a real cold day, Gracie prefers hers more on the soupy side and I like mine kinda stick to your ribs style. Italians have different styles of cooking and there all good cause they all know how to eat!!

Sal, beans in a clay pot. How could that possible be any better? I had some years ago Baked Beans, molasses, and ham hocks that were cooked over a wood stove. The aroma in that place was enough to make you gain 30 lbs! I'm not quite sure but I think we were in Springfield Mass.

.................Lou

PS Guess what I just had for lunch!!!!! ;D

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Reel 224

Lou&Sal; See what you guys started, trouble makers ::) ;D ;). Just kidding, but I do think Lou is the ring leader. ;D

Joe

STRIPER LOU

Naw Joe, no troublemaker here at least I don't think so, but I do eat a lot and I'm very good at it! ;D ;D

Reel 224

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 24, 2017, 08:51:07 PM
Naw Joe, no troublemaker here at least I don't think so, but I do eat a lot and I'm very good at it! ;D ;D

True that..........Joe

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 24, 2017, 05:44:40 PM
Good stuff Lou! When Mom made pasta e fagioli, or pasta e fasciuol... dialect, she cooked the beens this way, some still do today:

There was always a couple of piece of pork rind in that pignata to bring it home :).

Sal
Sal this might be true or an urban legend.   Dominick

In the old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire.
Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables
and did not get much meat.  They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers
in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day.
Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while.

Hence the rhyme:

"Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old".

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Reel 224

Here in the leftovers for the week or month.

Joe

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on January 24, 2017, 08:59:02 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 24, 2017, 05:44:40 PM

Sal
Sal this might be true or an urban legend.   Dominick

In the old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire.
Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables
and did not get much meat.  They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers
in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day.
Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while.

Hence the rhyme:

"Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old".

Dominick: Was that when you were a little boy? ;D

Joe

Alto Mare

Dominick, we had a gas stove but did lots of cooking on fire, it just taste better. We did have a heavy copper kettle sitting over the fire that swung into the room.
You will never eat polenta better than the one cooked in that kettle, or anything else.
I miss those days, but still cook on my wood borning stove at times.
As for leftovers sitting in the pot, I believe its a legend.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.