Old 114 with Suprises

Started by handi2, January 25, 2017, 11:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

This reel was brought in yesterday. It was his grandfathers reel. Everything on the outside is corroded but I found a few cool things inside.

The gear sleeve is SS and is very heavy. It's not chromed brass. I made a good scratch on the bottom. It also has an oil hole at the bottom of the sleeve.

Also the spool has a nice sticker.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mizmo67

New one for me...someone's custom sleeve?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Tightlines667

Not a new one for me.  

These were definately stock gear sleeves in the prewar Senators.  The sleeve is heavier (may be SS, or a heavier bronze alloy/like that used in the first single-piece spools?), the edges of the teeth are thicker, the gear sleeve sits on a felt washer (that retains oil), and there is an oiling port down in the bottom of the gear sleeve.  

Not sure what reel models other then the Senators had these style sleeves, and how long they persisted until the design changed.  I am guessing through the early the 1950s.  Some of the smaller reel models, such as the Squidder, and Live Bait Caster from this era (early 1940s), had similar style sleeves.

Not sure what to make of the spool.  Other then it suggests it was near the earlier switch (1955) to single piece spool.  The reel may have been from the mid to late 1950s.  

I have always thought a closer examination of the changes in the internal reel parts of tye pre 1957 Penn reels (esp. the higher end models such as Senators, and Squidder), might yield some interesting results, and possibly answer some questions.

Maybe even put some current debates...

Such as when the first second gen style larger Senator first appeared (Mike C contends postwar, Ray/Ted/Myself believe prewar), and others.

Interesting topic.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I should have checked the internal parts more closely. They were numbered.

The reel was spooled with regular twine like builders string. The spool came out near perfect. All the other parts have brassing.

I will post some pictures tomorrow.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL