Fishing St Pete with a fellow AT member

Started by ReelFishingProblems, January 30, 2017, 01:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

I've been out fishing a half dozen times since moving to the Tampa area, but today I finally linked up with some ohana from AT. Chris and I went to the sunshine skyline fishing pier (north side) as the rain let up. The pinfish were definitely willing to sacrifice themselves for the cause. Unfortunately everything thought the pinfish were not the best meal of the day, except a pelican which Chris and I rescued and sent on its merry way.

The catch of the day was pinfish, green backs, and Chris managed some juvenile sea bass. It was a great day talking about fishing, families and enjoying the scenery.

I brought out the 10500 spinfisher mounted on the thorhammer. It is perfectly balanced and it is hungry to bring in some great fish.

cwillis85

I forgot about those sea bass, that made it a successful trip.  :)

We will figure this fishery out one of these days.
Chris

ReelFishingProblems

We may need sharkman to come show us how it's done

oc1

Put that pinfish on a 10/0 hook under a float and chunk it back overboard for tarpon.
-steve

thorhammer

That's what that outfit was made for. Try to break it Nick!

ReelFishingProblems

I hope to hook some monsters with it John, but I love how much you can feel the end of the line. 2 pinfish on a double drop loop didn't bend the rod, but I could feel every movement they made. Great build! Now you need to come down so we can take a boat out on the water from MacDill AFB

sharkman

Sorry guys, missed the invite was tied up all weekend.  There are some resident goliath grouper at the skyway.  Shark fishing can be difficult there due to the bait robbing dolphins.  The dolphin have learned to bite the tail of the bait and run that way when you go to set the hook the hook will rip thru and they have a free snack. Hopefully we all can meet up and catch some fish.

cwillis85

I don't think there was anything Big out that day. Had a pinfish a couple feet under a float, one on a knocker rig at the bottom, and one free lined with a split shot. Should have covered the water colum pretty well, just no bites.
Chris

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Its Great to work up the food chain catching your own bait.
I Start with pieces of frozen shrimp to catch some pinfish. Catch some Blues with the pins. Then catch a Shark with the Bluefish.
I'm going to try a trotline this year for bait.
Life is Good!

cwillis85

I don't know if it works everywhere but I typically use a smaller sabiki with a fairly heavy weight to keep it on the bottom, then lightly jig it, just enough to cause a disturbance on the bottom. I usually have my lines baited in minutes and a full bait bucket within the hour. Pinfish and pilchards are abundant.
Chris

Calusa

This photo looks out toward the Gulf if I'm not mistaken. The rubble from the old Skyway that was torn down years ago was dumped as an artificial reef about 75 yards or so from that pier you were on, in a parallel line with the pier. Casting that pinfish as far as you can in that direction should bring you a good number of Black Grouper this time of year. They come in from the Gulf when the water gets cooler.

cwillis85

Yes, you are correct. They painted numbers on the pier to show where the reefs are. Unfortunately the current and wind were going in the wrong directection. I fish when the wife says I am free of chores, doesn't allow me to pick tides or moon phases, just fish when I can
Chris

Calusa

Indeed, an outgoing tide makes it easier to get your bait where it needs to be. Pinfish with a two ounce sinker is ideal. :)

ReelFishingProblems

Calusa,

Are you here in the Tampa/st pete area?

Nick