Penn 130 drag clicker repair

Started by Rusty12, February 02, 2017, 03:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty12

I have a 130 st 2 speed and I noticed that the clicker works when it is in free spool but when I engage the drag just the slightest I loose the clicker. I took it apart last year and replaced the bearings. I did notice that out of the 4 130's I have that some had a very paper thin washer that went on the end of the shaft but some others didn't have it. I was thinking maybe the spring for the clicker might need to be replaced causing the clicker to be doing this. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

FatTuna

I usually start with a new spring to see if that works. If that doesn't work, I swap out the click tongue and ratchet plate.

alantani

yeah, it's a push system, so the spool is being pushed to the left and away from the clicker button.  if the clicker plate or the clicker button are badly worn, they might have to be replaced.  or maybe you can flip the clicker plate over and stretch out the clicker spring!  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Quote from: FatTuna on February 02, 2017, 03:23:30 PM
I usually start with a new spring to see if that works. If that doesn't work, I swap out the click tongue and ratchet plate.
X2 try the easiest first.

If these don't work tune the reel by shimming,  adjusting/replacing Bellevilles, and/or minor sanding/filing/deburring (if warrented).
Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 02, 2017, 05:06:27 PM
This is a common problem encountered after servicing the older Internationals, esp. the 130s. 

First ensure that your ratchet plate, and clicker pawl are not excessively worn.  If so, replace them.  If you replace the pawl make sure it is correct for your reel version.. since some of the newer pawls do not work in older reels.

But, it sounds like you have a spacing issue here.  The thinwasher (s) you are referring to are shims that are used to tune the reel by adjusting spacing at various locations along the spool shaft.  I have noticed that some of the newer bearings, and belleville washers are ever so slightly thicker which combine to take hp a little more space along the spool shaft.   You need to move your spool shaft to the right (with regards to the pinion gear.  If you have a shim over the pinion bearing, or in the belleville stack, remove it and retest the reel.  You need to decrease space here.  If need be you can sand a few thousanths off of the belleville washers themselves.  It is really just a matter of testing until you get it tuned right.  I often have to dis and re-assemble the reel 6-12 times before I am satisfied with the drag range, freespool, and clicker performance.  When testing put some fresh grease on the clicker plate and put the reel inlow gear to ensure it is not contacting when preset is backed off and the reel is in freespool. 

You may also try to use a shim with a very small OD under the clicker button to move your pawl inboard slightly or as a last resort small shims under the ratchet plate screws themselves.  In both cases loctite is in order. 

Removing the shim and replacing the clicker pawl and plate will likely solve your problem.  If not sand the bellevilles or right spool bearing a bit.  You may want a caliper to check your progress.  Be aware that if you make the clicker too loud it will wear much quicker.

Good luck!
& keep us posted.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.