Plueger USMC Capitol 1988 Info Please

Started by wailua boy, February 05, 2017, 10:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

I just purchased this reel and know nothing about it, first Plueger in fact. I was especially curious about year of manufacture, value and any info is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

I have heard that sometimes these were used to run wire for radios -- or trip lines.

But the most likely reason for the USMC markings are (MWR Gear) -- Morale Welfare & Recreation.

Off duty Marines could borrow or check these out for recreation use.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reel man

True statement, most bases had recreational gear that was available to the troops. 

wailua boy

Thanks for the info guys. The finish is pretty rough but mechanically the reel seems in good shape. I wonder if these reels were sold off or if this reel was lost or stolen. I've found one thread on another site but not much info in regard to the USMC stamped reels out there. You always wish these reels could talk.

wailua boy

Also is the N stamped on bottom a normal marking seen on these reels. I was wondering if it stood for new.

Reel 224

The "N" is marked on all the reel posts. I have on like yours except it's not USMC but other the reels are the same.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."