3/0 left hand

Started by Crow, August 25, 2017, 07:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Well, I want to fish it....maybe after that I won't be so eager , Redfish !! LOL ! I'd like to have more "lefties" myself....but my pockets aren't deep enough, as they seem to bring more money! Same as anything in "pristine" condition, or very scarce....that's why I'm buying "cheap stuff" LOL ! I've reached the age where I need to save back money for Tuesday night bingo, and some of those home improvement things those nice folks keep calling me about !

Rudy,I should have mentioned that there were 2 of the "wavy washers" in the stack  ...one between the spacer and the top washer, and one between the star and the handle....so there must have been a little "slack" to take up, someplace. I actually was intending to order another spacer sleeve....and forgot!....just in case I needed to alter the length....and screwed up while I was doing it ! In reading through various posts / threads , I see that
spacer length altering is a common practice. Is grinding the best way, Rudy, or should it be chucked up in a drill press, and filed down while it's spinning....that would keep it "truer" (probably need to "fill the center " with a wooden dowel, so it wouldn't distort under chuck pressure, tho) ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

To shorten the spacer any of those ways will work. Even a piece of coarse emery cloth or rub it of a file. The spacer is chrome plated brass. I would just use one new wavy washer on top of the drag stack. Your old wavy washers are probably getting pretty flattened out. A new one will give you more gradual adjustment.

1badf350

This is interesting because all of the 3/0 reels I've purchased since I started collecting last year have had reverse eccentric levers. I just assumed it was normal for some reason. The reels function as any right hand drive would with the exception of that lever. It engages on a rear throw of the lever as opposed to a foreward throw. So is this not normal?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Well, since this is the first Senator I've had (not counting the other 3/0, that came with this one) I really don't know what "normal" is ! I did get my "parts box" from Scott's, today......(and those ARE the correct drag components, by the way...Thanks Again !)....so I'll be putting this one together...*maybe* tomorrow. I did try a bit of polishing compound...on both reels...but the surface of the plates is so "rough"( I think they spent a LOT of time in the sun !), it didn't do much good. 
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

Keep at it. Headlight lens restorer works too, and simichrome. Sid had done wonders on very old rubber plates

Crow

I did manage to assemble my "lefty" today, before I went outside to great the day (and pick apples !). I did "polish" a bit more, but it will take more time than I choose to give it, right now......my old Dremel is *too fast" to buff with, I guess I should spring for a variable speed ! I found that I didn't need to shorten the spacer....dropping the extra *wave* washer did the trick, and I have full adjustment in the "loose" position.
     To answer the lever position....now that the handle and lever are on the left side, the lever throws *forward* , to engage. I have noticed that some Penns engage *forward*, and some *backward*, though.

Bill B

Thats cleaning up very nice....Now time to go fishing ;)..Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

Very nice. A true gem.

My fave is your power handle. I love that green color.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Crow

I like it, too ! If it was a plastic worm...I'd call it "Motor Oil" color :D!  Sometimes , it amazes me that things...like that power handle....will sell, on E-bay, for what I think , is big bucks....and at the same time, there will be a reel, ...with the same handle...that goes for the same...or even less !....money ???.
    I'm pretty anxious to get this thing out on the gulf, this winter !