3/0 left hand

Started by Crow, August 25, 2017, 07:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Hi,!
    I had a pair of 3/ 0 Senators follow me home, and , before I try to order any parts....I need help ! The first.....black, marked "Senator 3 / 0" on the headplate, has "apparently" been changed over to "left hand drive", and had a few other mods done, as well. I see no # on the gear sleeve...but it IS dogged left (looks like the headplate was modified to accept the dog on the 'off" side), and also threaded "left". The main gear is changed out , as well (I think?), as it doesn't match the pix in the schematics, and the drag stack is 5 metals, and 5 fiber(maybe plastic ? they are brick red in color ?)  Anyway...anybody have a clue as to what drag stack I need to order ?The thing IS sort of cumbersome, but, while I "write right", I DO like to "fish left", so I'll learn to live with the eccentric lever being "too far" forward, and "working backwards". Also, this reel has 6 "posts"....which also doesn't match the schematic. The part# on the spool is "29-112", and the # on the bridge is "3-66", and the star is "10-60", if that helps.
   The second....looks more like dark brown, to me than red....is marked "Penn Senator 112H" on the head, and "Penn Reel 3 / 0 Special Senator" on the tail. Parts seem to match up with the pictures for the "special" Senators on Scott's schematic, so I think this one will be "easy" to buy for....three plate drag (toast!), steel main and pinion (also toast!) , click spring, dog, and button (also toast !)...looks like it was left with water inside, as anything ferrous is almost rusted away.
    Anyway, any help on ID ing the parts needed for the rag on "#1" would sure be appreciated!

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

Are you sure it is marked "H" or "Special"? It looks like a black plate 112 3/0 Senator. The left hand parts that are different from righty's are the pinion & main gear, sleeve, & drag star. No "H's" or "Specials" were produced with 6 posts or black plates. Check out the parts list for a 112 3/0 black plate Senator. They were produced in both right & left handed models. Get a little auto compound and rub a spot on the plate and I am sure your brown plates will be black. The standard CF drag washer set up is  three 6-113 washers but you can up it to a 5 washer set up with the thinner 6-60 drag washers for more drag.                    Rudy

Crow

The 'above' pic IS the 'black" one ...which has been "converted" to a lefty. I'll post a pic (pretty fuzzy, tho !) of the main gear that's out of it....if I can figure out which drag kit fits, I should be "good to go"....there are 5 metals, and 5 fiber.....they are laying behind the gear. I'm "guessing" that the "6th post" may have been added when it was converted to a 'lefty" ?

The "Special" ....even though it isn't as "red" as the one in the picture on "Scott's.....is surely "redder" than the black one....and the pictures in the "special" schematic seem to match what I have in my reel, so I think I'm safe, ordering gears / drags for that one. It's the pictured, "black" one that has me stumped !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sdlehr

The earliest 112 3/0 had externally accessible drag, all the 112's had 6 posts.  I think this is a 112 (not h, as Rudy suggested above). Your pic isn't the right angle, but you appear to have hexagonal bushings and not round bearings. The 5-66 main gear was also a deeper gear (Edit: not deeper, the difference was the early gears were steel) in some early Longbeaches, I think that's what you got. Those older gears are steel as yours appears to be.  The Longbeach models 66, 67, 68, and the Senator models 110, 111, 112 all used the same main gear and drag washers. I think you need the 5-drag stack for the 5-66 which is the 3-drag washer stack here plus one more eared washer, 2 more 6-60 HT-100 washers (edited to the correct URL) and  one more keyed, which I can't find the number or link for.... Bryan has a 5-stack but I don't think it'll fit this gear...

Edit: I think I had to scavenge a keyed washer from another stack, I don't think I ever ordered one separately. I may have all the components you need for this drag stack, I can look in my parts bins in the morning.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

The original CF drag stack for the 5-66 gear is with three 6-113 washers which are too thick for a 5 stack. As I said before to put a 5 stack in a 5-66 gear you need to use five 6-60 CF washers which are thinner to allow use of a 5 stack. A 112h has the same main gear as a Jigmaster 500 & uses a larger diameter washer & only uses 3 CF washers number 6-309.

sdlehr

But Rudy, he's got the deeper gear, I think that makes a difference, but right now I'm too tired to think straight anymore. I have a reel with the deeper gear upstairs I can open up tomorrow if needed.

Sid
Sid Lehr

RowdyW

Sid, if you look up the 5-66 gear which originally came out of a Longbeach 66 it calls for three #113 CF washers which are too thick for a 5 stack. That is why you have to use the Longbeach 60 washers which are thinner but the same inner & outer diameter. A 112 3/0 came with the tall 66 gear. A shorter gear would have had to come out of a very early vintage reel or would have had to have been switched. I have a bunch of LB 66,67,68,112 &113's all with the original 5-66 gears & all had the (3) 113 drag stacks replaced with the (5) 6-60 drag stacks. Penn Parts only lists the 113 CF replacements of which only 3 will fit. The 60 washers are an upgrade to up the drag pressure. Penn does not list hot rod parts for upgrading, only stock parts.             Rudy

sdlehr

Shoot, I haven't been inside any of the larger Longbeachs in over a year. While brushing my teeth it all came back to me as Rudy said above. I edited my post above, I think it's mostly correct now. What I misremembered about that older 5-66 gear is that it was steel, not deeper. The 5-66 is deeper than the 5-60, that was what was confusing me. My apologies for muddying the waters, however so briefly. I'll probably do it again in a year :)

Crow, PM me if you want me to look for these washers. I'll likely forget to look by morning, and I'm not imbibing, just really tired.
Sid Lehr

swill88

Sid, Rudy, I'm so impressed you guys can remember these details.

I am starting to believe I have either the football related brain damage or the zin related damage.

Either way, crs.  Steve

Crow

So, the drag components I need are those from a Long beach 60? Correct ?  And, instead of the '3 each" for the 60, I need "5 each"......that should be a doable thing !  Thanks, fellas !  I had considered just measuring the fiber washers, and trying to "match sizes" from Smooth drag....using the original brass washers, but the "penn parts" sounds like a better deal to me.
   This reel probably will get fished, a bit, but I wan't all the reels in my "collection" (more of an "obsession", really !) to be as "fishable" as I can make them. I'm going to try Rudy's rubbing compound on both of these Senators.....they have the sun faded look....kind of a watered down chocolate milk color, and, while I really don't mind if my reels "have their work clothes on"....a little shine never hurt anybody !
    Again, Thanks, fellas !!

RowdyW

Crow, try polishing compound instead of rubbing compound. The white stuff.           Rudy

sdlehr

Crow, you don't need 5 of the same metal washers - they alternate - CF-keyed-CF-eared-CF-keyed-CF-eared-CF-keyed; so 3 keyed, 2 eared, 5 Carbon Fiber.
Sid Lehr

Crow

OK, polishing compound it is ! And , yes, I understand the "alternating metals".......I'm actually getting pretty "eager" to fish with this "converted lefty"!!.....Thanks, again, Guys !

redfish12

I have been looking for a lefty versions of the old Penns... want to trade for another Senator?

RowdyW

Crow, when you get it all together the drag might be a little tight with the star backed off all the way. Just grind or file the spacer sleeve about .030-.040" shorter. Keep it square.        Rudy