Senator values/prices?

Started by biggiesmalls, February 10, 2017, 03:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

;D Looks like I'm not the only cheapskate on this site ;D  The ebay market fluctuates quite a bit, and there are bargains to be had now and then.  Patience is key.  If you want the best price, don't even turn on the computer on Saturday or Sunday.

biggiesmalls

Lol some call it being a cheapskate, I just call it being a student  ;D

Benni3

I agree with Sal and ebay prices are ebay prices and you don't know what's coming in the mail   :'(  :o

MarkT

Garage Sales. People often don't know what they have and just want it gone.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Decker

Garage sales are more work but you get the best values. As an east coast guy I notice that a lot (maybe most) of the nice vintage penns come from Cali sellers. I like getting reels from Midwest sellers.... less corrosion for the most part.

biggiesmalls

That's a good point about garage sales. I live a mile or two from the beach so I might be able to find some stuff lying around.

Definitely more work though - but if it helps me get cheap Senators, then no point in not doing it.

Bill B

My 2 cents.....I wouldn't pay more than $5 for any of them :o. Cuz there are savvy sellers  :P who seem to be watching what we do here and just when Mo or Ted comes up with  killer build, corresponding reels seem to become valuable overnight..... ;D.  But on the serious side, the prices Ted listed are close to my target prices.  For me pawn shops, garage sales, auctions, and lots of patience are the way to go.  I try to pick a price I'm happy with and stick to it....For me the hunt and discovery of a piece I'm looking for is the fun part, rebuild and catching fish after is the satisfaction part.    Hell, I'm still looking for the International 50 for $25  :D :D :D

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Quote from: Decker on February 11, 2017, 04:04:06 PM
I like getting reels from Midwest sellers.... less corrosion for the most part.

This is true...the reels here do have less corrosion...but midwest reels are fewer and farther between. 8)

Quote from: TARFU on February 11, 2017, 05:01:43 PM
There are savvy sellers  :P who seem to be watching what we do here and just when Mo or Ted comes up with  killer build, corresponding reels seem to become valuable overnight..... ;D

There is a bit of truth to this Bill. I have seen like reels pop up just after a killer build is posted.  :o

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 10, 2017, 04:24:03 PM
6/0 is at least $25 shipped (two have recently gone for $15 with $10 shipping, one of which had a handle upgrade that is probably with over $15 anyways)

Where was I when those $25 6/0s sold? I can't find any less than $50. >:(

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

[/quote]I picked up a 114H last week for $31. Seller said no anti reverse & handle turns both ways. Turned out someone must have pulled out the bridge screw that holds the dog & when replaced it missed the hole in the dog. Not the prettiest but it had a spool full of wire line on an aluminum spool. Not a mark on the spool after removeing the wire.     Rudy

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on February 11, 2017, 07:07:22 PM
I picked up a 114H last week for $31. Seller said no anti reverse & handle turns both ways. Turned out someone must have pulled out the bridge screw that holds the dog & when replaced it missed the hole in the dog.

Good buy Rudy! I picked up a Long Beach like that once. Was expecting to need parts and it was all there...just pushed aside.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: RowdyW on February 11, 2017, 07:07:22 PM

I picked up a 114H last week for $31. Seller said no anti reverse & handle turns both ways. Turned out someone must have pulled out the bridge screw that holds the dog & when replaced it missed the hole in the dog. Not the prettiest but it had a spool full of wire line on an aluminum spool. Not a mark on the spool after removeing the wire.     Rudy
[/quote]

I say we have a contest and see what kind of senator you can buy for $50 including shipping. Mo likely already has the winner ;) ;) -Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

I think the best deal I ever stumbled across was a 10/0 for $80.
That and the box of 12/0 parts I got from you for $100 Ted. ;)
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8942.0
Life is Good!

biggiesmalls

That's a good point - there are a few sets of "Senator parts" for sale on eBay from time to time. Perhaps it would be cheaper to purchase one of these and fill in the missing pieces. Although it doesn't seem as reliable as just purchasing the reel in the first place.

sharkman

Yard sales are the best places I have found for deals.  Found a almost mint 4/0 with box for $20 and a 109 for 50 cent

thorhammer

Drew hit the yard sales and pawn shops down there, for rods reels and tackle. You now have the best bargaining chip possible: the knowledge of market price and being able to leverage your knowledge of reel mechanics to haggle. You can tell quickly if you can major discount for condition / malfunction and use your connections and skill set to revalue the equipment. This is how I built most of my collection and to me is most rewarding.  Craigslist too, lot of good stuff near you.  In theory I'd buy low, service /repair and sell high.  I just never let go of any lol. But that doesn't mean you can't flip equipment similarly to get what you want. Sweat equity will get you a long ways.