9/0 SS Gear (BP)

Started by steelhead_killer, February 14, 2017, 02:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Good evening!  I am curious how others have solved this little challenge:
Original Gear:

New BP Gear:

Wondering if Bryan's drag kit accommodates this margin or am I grinding away tonight?  Or should I just bag it and wait for a Motive insert?  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Andy

><)))">

RowdyW

From what I heard the Motive Fab insert is going to take grinding & fitting too. Maybe contact Alan C.       Rudy

Alto Mare

Andy, the only time  it would be a problem is when the stock washers don't fit in the gears. I see that the numbers are different on your caliper, but did you try dropping the washers in the ProChallenger gear? Calipers give different numbers when measuring the OD and ID, but not the case when the piece dropps in.
If those washers don't fit, it will be the first on me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That is a new one to me too.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

My insert kits are usually a tight fit in the black pearl gears too. 

Those of us making aftermarket parts dont have access to the manufacturing tolerances or nominal dimensions Penn uses for its parts.  We can match up existing parts, but the sample may be on the high side or the low side without us being able to know which.  Fitting parts is often required when you are trying to reverse engineer a design from a random part. 

The round washers could all be stacked on a gear sleeve, then chucked in a drill press.  Take a file to the outside with the drill press turning to keep them round.  That wont work for the eared washers though. 

Shark Hunter

I have one of the original insert kits for you Andy.
The poor guy asked me two weeks ago.
I just now found it.
This is the last kit I have. It is the first Gen.
I know it requires fitment. Not of the insert itself, but the metal washers need a little tweaking to fit the sleeve properly.
I'll make you a deal.
As is, it is free of charge.
Adam has been good to me, and I'll pay it forward here.
Daron
Life is Good!

Black Pearl

That is new to me. Are those original washers from a 9/0? I have to heard any fitting issue with this gear. Have you tried the 6/0 metal washer?

steelhead_killer

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Daron hold off on the insert, I don't want to take your last one and thank you for the kind offer.  I will just wait for Adam's next run of inserts, Im in no hurry.  Besides, I am waiting for the next run of frames from Tom.  I'm aware of fitting issues with all these wonderful custom parts.  Just wanted to know if anyone else had run into this little challenge and how they solved it. 

Alan for my peace of mind, would you put the caliper to another 9/0 gear to verify that they are all like this or maybe I just got a weird one? 

I'm building this one for a good friend in Florida and i just want to make it perfect in every way. 

Thanks again everyone!

Andy

><)))">

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 14, 2017, 01:44:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Daron hold off on the insert, I don't want to take your last one and thank you for the kind offer.  I will just wait for Adam's next run of inserts, Im in no hurry.  Besides, I am waiting for the next run of frames from Tom.  I'm aware of fitting issues with all these wonderful custom parts.  Just wanted to know if anyone else had run into this little challenge and how they solved it. 

Alan for my peace of mind, would you put the caliper to another 9/0 gear to verify that they are all like this or maybe I just got a weird one? 

I'm building this one for a good friend in Florida and i just want to make it perfect in every way. 

Thanks again everyone!

Andy

Andy, I hope you don't mind me answering. I'm not sure you're aware, but I check 99% of Alan's parts prior to Alan signing off on production.
I just checked a half dozen main gears and all measure 29.95mm, keep in mind our calipers might vary.
I also checked appor. 50 keyed washers, all were very close to 29.55mm and the eared washers  29.70mm.
From looking at your measurements, there is a chance your metal washers set is off. Do you have anymore in hand?
If you are still having issues with the washers fitting in, could you please send that main gear to me and I will replace it with one of mine?
I would like to take a closer look.

Thanks Andy.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 14, 2017, 02:16:49 PM
Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 14, 2017, 01:44:49 PM

Thanks again everyone!

Andy

Andy, I hope you don't mind me answering. I'm not sure you're aware, but I check 99% of Alan's parts prior to Alan signing off on production.
I just checked a half dozen main gears and all measure 29.95mm, keep in mind our calipers might vary.
I also checked appor. 50 keyed washers, all were very close to 29.55mm and the eared washers  29.70mm.
From looking at your measurements, there is a chance your metal washers set is off. Do you have anymore in hand?
If you are still having issues with the washers fitting in, could you please send that main gear to me and I will replace it with one of mine?
I would like to take a closer look.

Thanks Andy.

Sal

Sal,

Its good to know that you are the QC guy!  I just ordered two sets from Scott's.  1 set of the stock Penn metals and 1 set of smoothdrag.com metals.  I will have more on this topic after they arrive.  IF it turns out to be the gear,  I will send it to you for examination.  Thanks for the help!

Andy
><)))">

Alto Mare

Thanks Andy, this will be helpful, no matter which way it goes.

On the QC, I'm just one of guys that volunteers, Alan and his men do all the hard work.

Sal

Shark Hunter

That offer still stands Andy,
I have plenty of reels with that kit inside.
All I need is an address.
Adam did really good on these.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
These are the best mods since sliced bread to ever happen to a Senator. ;)
Daron
Life is Good!

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 15, 2017, 06:36:44 AM
That offer still stands Andy,
I have plenty of reels with that kit inside.
All I need is an address.
Adam did really good on these.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
These are the best mods since sliced bread to ever happen to a Senator. ;)
Daron
Daron I hate knowing that I would be taking your last one.  Adam mentioned that he is still several weeks out on the materials for the next run of inserts.  So, if you conservatively double that time for materials, manufacture, packaging etc... that would leave you without an extra from 6-8 weeks minimum.  If you are OK with that timeline for a replacement than I will take you up on your offer.  If not, than I totally understand and I will just wait for the next run.  From what I have seen with these inserts in my 4/0's I would have to agree with your assessment of the quality and performance of this drag system. 

Andy
><)))">

handi2

Did the metal washers you show come from an older 9/0 drag system? Ive never had a problem with the metal washers. You may just need a later date metal washer set.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelhead_killer

Quote from: handi2 on February 15, 2017, 04:41:10 PM
Did the metal washers you show come from an older 9/0 drag system? Ive never had a problem with the metal washers. You may just need a later date metal washer set.

Bingo!  These must have been an old set of washers as the new one's from Dawn fit purrrrfect! 

Andy
><)))">