Frame Bent 50 SW

Started by bill19803, February 15, 2017, 08:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19803

I have a   Penn International II  50   sw (sn 940502)  In  what i thought  was   great  shape.  Took  the line off   to  inspect,  wax   spool  and   respool line.  In  the  process  i  noticed  that  the frame  cross member  behind  the   one  engraved   with penn logo, was  bent.  After   some head   scratching   laid   exacto    knife handle (straight   edge)  across   the  frame  and measured   with   calipers    to  bottom  of    frame member  . there  is a variation  of   at least  .026 inch    and possible  more.  This is the  amount   that  that  member  is  bent   inward  towards  spool.   How    did  it happen?  NO idea   but  suspect it    comes    from  traveling   via   ups    for   several  cross  continent    trips.  There  are  no marks  on  the   aluminum   at  all from  any impact  that  would be  able to  bend  frame  like  this. Think it   would require   a    super hit by a hammer  to bend  it like  this.

My   question   to  the veterans   here    am i   gonna have  problems   with this  reel  ?   Eating  bearings?  misalignment   of  shafts   etc ?

handi2

If the spool still runs true and there is no problems when reeling the reel should be fine.

Hopefully, like you say, that area only was bent.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

The only potential problem I'm thinking about is if you fill the spool up all the way, the line might get jammed on the bar. Especially if you use windon swivels. You might just have to fish a little less line and be careful when laying the line back on the reel.

My guess is that it was dropped when going through the mail.

mizmo67

I say dropped as well. Sounds like that kind of damage.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

TheReelShop

Just like everyone said. and I too agree on it being dropped while in box. If it were hit or bent during a fishing trip, it would have the scratches that you say it does not have. Any luck in trying to contact whoever delivered the package?

bill19803

no proof  as   which  trip bent  it.  ALL shipments  were  by   UPS   but  trying  to prove they  did  it.  Naw    cant    even   attempt  that,   and ive been thru  their  damage claim     rigamarole before and   its  not    fun   and  usually  doesnt  end  well    for the  fisherman. At  tis  point its  gonna be  suck n it up  snowflake   and like  with it  i  guess  and  hope there  is  no   corollary  damage. And  look   for a  new   frame    when   funds   get more   abundant.  between a   2500  yard   spool of    c-16    130  bl  spectra  and  building a new   calstar     rod   The check  book   winces  every  time it hears  the  term  I  think ill buy ------.

But  if  anyone   does  have a decent  used  frame    for 50  sw  id certainly  consider   buying  it it.

foakes

Hi Bill --

If it were mine, and it was bent like that, before I purchased another frame, here is what I would do --

Remove the plates and spool until the frame is bare --

Use a 3/4" piece of plywood as a platform base --

Tape over the plywood with duct tape --

Use a wooden type hand clamp to secure the sides just snug -- not super pressure tight -- to align the bent cross bar flat down on the plywood --

Cut a 1" X 1" X 12" piece of Oak or Maple (hardwood) --

Insert the wood from the opposite side so you have a good clean contact on the back side of the bent bar --

Tap it with a mallet or hammer until it is straight --

I think you could get it to "0" plumb on the straight edge easily enough --

Just start out with some deliberate taps -- increase the blows until it starts moving slightly back to plumb --

Keep checking until straight & true --

I have done this a few times previously when needed -- and if done properly using a straightedge and a light check -- it has always been successful with no scratching, damage, or problems with the frame running true.

Easy fix that saves the cost of another frame, and since there are no scratches evident -- it should end up near or close to perfect.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

I'm with Fred.  If the cross member is bent then the bearings have to be out of line but straightening can work.  A visibly bent cross member is better than having the whole frame imperceptibly torqued.
-steve

bill19803

im  with  fred  on  this  one   too.  Will   strip  it  down  this afternoon    and  cut  up  some   oak  flooring    and   give  it a   go. After  action  report  tomorrow 

Thanks   again  Fred   for  the   thoughts  and  time  it took   you  to  respond.  As  always a well  thought out  answer.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: bill19803 on March 07, 2017, 03:35:42 AM
no proof  as   which  trip bent  it.  ALL shipments  were  by   UPS   but  trying  to prove they  did  it.  Naw    cant    even   attempt  that,   and ive been thru  their  damage claim     rigamarole before and   its  not    fun   and  usually  doesnt  end  well    for the  fisherman. At  tis  point its  gonna be  suck n it up  snowflake   and like  with it  i  guess  and  hope there  is  no   corollary  damage. And  look   for a  new   frame    when   funds   get more   abundant.  between a   2500  yard   spool of    c-16    130  bl  spectra  and  building a new   calstar     rod   The check  book   winces  every  time it hears  the  term  I  think ill buy ------.

But  if  anyone   does  have a decent  used  frame    for 50  sw  id certainly  consider   buying  it it.

Bill, if Fred's procedure doesn't work, of if you would just rather not have to worry about it, I am pretty sure that I have a near mint 50SW frame that I could sell for $35 plus shipping, but I just got back from a tackle show and haven't unloaded the trailer yet so it's probably going to take me a few days to get fully unpacked.  If that might be of interest, please let me know and I will look for the frame.

Thanks,

Randy

Dominick

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on March 07, 2017, 05:50:09 PM

Bill, if Fred's procedure doesn't work, of if you would just rather not have to worry about it, I am pretty sure that I have a near mint 50SW frame that I could sell for $35 plus shipping, but I just got back from a tackle show and haven't unloaded the trailer yet so it's probably going to take me a few days to get fully unpacked.  If that might be of interest, please let me know and I will look for the frame.

Thanks,

Randy
Wow! at that price you could buy it as a spare.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on March 07, 2017, 06:03:53 PM

Thanks,

Randy

That is a great deal.  I may want to pick this up, and any other International parts you may have, if he doesn't want it.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

bill19803

Randy    sold

no big  hurry   but  ill take  it  when  you  find  it

wont need  it  till  hot  months   so   do   what  ya gotta   do      and  we   will  get  logistics   worked out   later

Thanks    for   helping  me   out   Just  spent   a  couple hours smacking    a    board    ala   fred   procedure   and  think i  only   removed    about    1/4  of  the  bend  so i   dont have a  good feeling  about    end  result.
Bill

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 07, 2017, 07:15:13 PM
Quote from: Dominick on March 07, 2017, 06:03:53 PM

Thanks,

Randy

That is a great deal.  I may want to pick this up, and any other International parts you may have, if he doesn't want it.

John

Give me a week or so to get caught up John and I will send you a list of the International parts that I have.  Almost everything is for 50 size or smaller but there is a lot of nice stuff.  I don't know if you saw my list but I picked up a beautiful 130ST that you or one of your friends might like.
Thanks,
Randy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: bill19803 on March 07, 2017, 07:25:37 PM
Randy    sold

no big  hurry   but  ill take  it  when  you  find  it

wont need  it  till  hot  months   so   do   what  ya gotta   do      and  we   will  get  logistics   worked out   later

Thanks    for   helping  me   out   Just  spent   a  couple hours smacking    a    board    ala   fred   procedure   and  think i  only   removed    about    1/4  of  the  bend  so i   dont have a  good feeling  about    end  result.
Bill
LM

That's great Bill.  I should be able to find that frame by this weekend and verify that it is a 50SW and if it is do you want me to send you a PayPal invoice?