1st Pier Trip 2017... Sheepshead!

Started by ChileRelleno, March 05, 2017, 02:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Windy as Hell & Big Sheepies!

Gulf Shores State Park Pier
Gulf Shores, Alabama

Big sheepies were the norm today, they were averaging at least five (5) pounds, with lots of larger ones, I had one that was 7#12oz.
Some big and beautiful fish hitting the deck
And they were indeed putting a hurting on bait/tackle, but everyone was thrilled when they could get one netted.
They were diving into the pilings, snapping lines, straightening/breaking hooks and in general giving everyone fits trying to land one... I averaged at least 4-5 lost fish for each landed.
And of course they were their usual bait stealing lil'bastard selves.

Shrimp was the mainstay till around lunch and they suddenly decided that Fiddlers were gourmet fare.
Then Walleyealx and his buddy took over the class, with on 'How to Hook Up' and 'How Not to Lose Fish at the Net'. They were tag teaming them with gusto, which was great to see because they practically couldn't buy a bite earlier in the morning with their Fiddlers.

Several regulars were very gracious with their time, tackle and knowledge, and helped visiting anglers get their tackle and technique up to par and start catching.

Sheepies were being caught the length of the pier from what I both heard and saw.
From the draw to shallows the was quite a bite of Whiting today, with many being a good size.
A veritable 'Chew Down' from some reports.
Nate was having troubles with not being able to hoss the Sheepies out of the pilings, got frustrated, and went to take his mood out on the Whiting.
He made a good dent in the population.

I saw several nice Black Drum caught, and all were well within good eating size.
Also saw a few small Flounder and... Wait for it... Some really nice Specks.
One of the guys kept trying to fish for Sheepies in the shallows with live shrimps, and was rewarded with three very nice Specks while I was there.

Nate and I walked off the pier with a limit plus of Sheeps and plenty of Whiting.
And to think I almost didn't come out today because of the wind.
But a friend told me it might be worth my time.

Nate's First of the Day

One More Till Limit for Me

My Best of the Day, 7#12oz

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

JasonF

Great report!  I can't help but be jealous of how white the sand is in your part of the gulf as seen in the background of the photo.  Just beautiful over there!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 05, 2017, 03:26:52 AM
Awesome!!!
Thanks Daron, yes, such days are indeed awesome.
Quote from: JasonF on March 05, 2017, 04:01:44 AM
Great report!  I can't help but be jealous of how white the sand is in your part of the gulf as seen in the background of the photo.  Just beautiful over there!
Yes'sir, beautiful, world famous white sand beaches.
And then the states of AL & FL F them up by dredging offshore crap to put on them for 'so called' beach restoration aka renourishment.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Swami805

That's some good pier fishing right there!! Nice!!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Big Tim

I would love to fish that pier with you some day. Nice catch.

BT

Dominick

Quote from: ChileRelleno on March 06, 2017, 01:16:16 AM
Yes'sir, beautiful, world famous white sand beaches.
And then the states of AL & FL F them up by dredging offshore crap to put on them for 'so called' beach restoration aka renourishment.
[/quote]
John I don't understand the mindset.  Don't they realize that they scoop up all the bait that feed the bait fish.  They end up taking clams, crabs and worms and leave an underwater wasteland that takes years to come back.  Then when it starts to heal they come along and dredge up the same stuff for new beach restoration.  My fishing buddy in NJ tells me there are not many striped bass off the beaches since they started the whole beach restoration project.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

They are putting the sand on the Beach for the Tourists.
Nothing More.
They don't care what impact it has on the Marine Life.
It ruined my once a year trip last year.
Its Big Business.
We are Helpless.
Life is Good!

steelfish

great fishing amigo Chile

they look like fun to catch, what gear you use normally for that kind if fishing?
The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

Nice!  Hard fighting fish thats for sure.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Swami805 on March 06, 2017, 02:05:34 AM
That's some good pier fishing right there!! Nice!!
The Gulf Coast offers some of the finest pier fishing in the US... I'm blessed to live down here, it is a sportsman's paradise.
Quote from: Big Tim on March 06, 2017, 03:32:24 AM
I would love to fish that pier with you some day. Nice catch.

BT
Come on down!
Quote from: Dominick on March 06, 2017, 05:36:46 AM

John I don't understand the mindset.  Don't they realize that they scoop up all the bait that feed the bait fish.  They end up taking clams, crabs and worms and leave an underwater wasteland that takes years to come back.  Then when it starts to heal they come along and dredge up the same stuff for new beach restoration.  My fishing buddy in NJ tells me there are not many striped bass off the beaches since they started the whole beach restoration project.  Dominick
Not only does it adversely affect the offshore areas dredged, but when they cover the tidal zones with it they kill off everything there too. It takes years to find sand fleas and ghost shrimp again.
Quote from: steelfish on March 06, 2017, 05:07:57 PM
great fishing amigo Chile

they look like fun to catch, what gear you use normally for that kind if fishing?
People can use gear suitable for bass, but you'll want more power/backbone in the rod and at least 12# test for getting them out of the pilings, Catfish gear would be much better. 
Typically we like to use a 5-6' med or med/hvy rod with a fast action, this gives us backbone and sensitivity.
Both spinning, bait caster and conventional reels are commonly used, spooled with 12-15# line.
A 1-3oz egg sinker atop a bead, barrel swivel and then 1-2' of 12-15# floro tied to a #8-#10, 3-4x treble or #2-#4 Kahle hook.
Bait must be live, shrimp and Fiddler crabs are favorites, but ghost shrimp are like candy to a fat kid.
Some people chum them with crushed/chopped barnacles. mussels or oysters, especially when around bridge pilings.
A net of some sort is a must have for these heavy bodied fish.
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:

sharkman

Sheepshead are a really fun fish to catch.  I live on St Pete Beach and in the past 10 yrs they have refurbished the beach twice and planning on the third time. They haven't learned that Mother Nature always wins.  They pile the sand and she takes it away.

Decker

Nice little narrative for frustrated Internet fishermen like myself!   Thank you.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~