Penn Long Beach 60 rebuild

Started by sturgeonhunter, May 01, 2011, 09:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturgeonhunter

looking for info on rebuilding this reel,upgrades etc,is there a tutorial for this reel would like to rebuild this reel,drag pack at least.

Norcal Pescador

The closest tutorial to this one is the Penn 111.   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=44.0
The main differences are: Use a 6-155 drag washer under the main gear, and use three 6-60 drag washers in the stack. Everything else is pretty much the same as far as procedures. Disregard the part about the Dremelling and making the drag a 1+5 stack. If your 60 still has the brass drag washers, I would change them to stainless (7C-60 set).
Get the schematic and parts list from MysticParts.com
If this will be a working reel, that's about all there is to it. You could do more, but I'm not sure it would be worth it. It's a good basic reel that I would fish with no more than 15-17 pound line. Oh, and a more comfortable grip is always a plus. :)
Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

akfish

One issue with the Penn 60 is the spool: The older steel and chromed brass spools simply weren't made for mono. I'd recommend using 30# line and treating it like 20#. The reason for this is that 30# won't pack as tightly and thus won't put as much pressure on the spool as will thinner diameter line. You're pushing that reel with anything more than about 8# of drag. That said, it's a tank that will last a long time. My main concern is it's dreadfully slow retrieve rate -- 2.5 to 1. But lots of them are still be using to troll for salmon up here.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Quote from: sturgeonhunter on May 01, 2011, 09:31:31 PM
looking for info on rebuilding this reel,upgrades etc,is there a tutorial for this reel would like to rebuild this reel,drag pack at least.
You got yourself a nice little reel with plenty of guts. I would do as Rob mentioned and definitely replace the complete drag stock, but I would keep it at 1+3. Akfish mentioned the spool, if you have the earlier 3 piece spool there is a chance that it might warp under load, if you have the stainless steel spool that came with later models I wouldn't worry about it, If the spool that you have now shows a lot of corrosion than it's a good idea to invest $20 and get yourself an aluminum spool wich is still available. Check www.penn60schematic if needed and bring that reel back to life ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sturgeonhunter

thanks for all input guys,I will take all info and use it to rebuild and upgrade this reel.I want to use reel with 20 lb Berkeley Big Game.Over all reel is in 

good shape it has the stainless steel spool but will upgrade to aluminum for sure and internals have no corrosion at all just need to clean / lube and

minor upgrades and reel will be ready to fish.I am not sure about the Flueger Sea King reel it`s also in good shape just not finding much info on this reel

would like it if someone could lead me in a direction getting info.

alantani

here is an aluminum spool for the long beach 60.  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/29L-85.aspx  not bad for $20!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!