Penn 710z sanding, polishing

Started by Johnj67, April 19, 2017, 07:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnj67

I sanded and polished a 710z, came out pretty good but it looks like it's wobbling when I reel it, but I think it may be an optical illusion. It doesn't have any play so I don't know ow if it's because it's unpainted now and the spool is just uneven from sanding. Any thoughts......?🤐🙄

mo65

Do you feel a wobble? if not...you're probably right...an optical illusion from the shine. Let's see that bad boy...post a pic! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Not much to adjust on those, unless something is bent.

These are so tough -- hard to bend even the spool shaft.

But it could have been damaged or abused before you got it.

I would make sure the rotor drive plate washer and rotor nut are seated properly -- and tight.

If you are not certain of a wobble or an optical illusion -- clamp it lightly in a vise with a protective material over the vise jaws.

Set up a mirror behind the reel -- and crank it at various speeds to determine if there is a wobble by looking at it from eye level -- and in the mirror.

Good luck

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Johnj67

Thanks for the advice Fred. I will give that a try when I get a chance

Bryan Young

Doesn't the Z-series reels have a lead balance weight? 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Yes, it has a counterweight inside the rotor, Bryan --

If it isn't there -- that is the problem.

That is why pics are always helpful anytime we post -- it is not just us -- it is everyone who looks at the post.

We all learn that way...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Johnj67

Fred you were right, the square washer wasn't set properly. All is well, ty. Pics of my first sanded reel, needs another polishing after all the dismantling, but not too bad.

foakes

Really outstanding job, John --

Those colors the way you have set it up -- really pop.

I did a DAM Quick 265 Microlite like that a few months ago -- just for fun.  Looks pretty good on an old chocolate 5' Fenwick with upgraded hypalon grips.

After seeing your great work, I think any painted aluminum O/F spinning reel from the 60's through the 90's will likely get this treatment.  

Many times, the paint is badly chipped or faded --

While it is possible to remove the paint, prep and repaint -- it still shows as a repaint -- and is a lot of extra work.  At least in my case, for user reels, I am leaning towards stripping and polishing.  

Got plenty of Mitchell's, Quicks, ABU & Zebco Cardinals, some Penns, and other painted aluminum reels with faded or badly chipped exteriors.  These were always slated for parts reels -- but now this opens up a lot of possibilities.

Disassemble, Strip, clean, polish, replace any worn parts with new parts -- and Voila -- new life for an old tossaway reel out of the bone bins.

Nothing to lose -- and everything to gain.

We can do this with the aluminum and metal, well made reels.  If the modern plastics or graphites -- u fortunately, there is no recovering those.

Thanks for sharing.

If you haven't already, you might want to flip the A/R lever over -- it is on upside down.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Johnj67

Thank you Fred, I love leaving the black sideplate, and I will fix the a,/r. Maybe that's why I have play in it
Nice dam , I have a 330 in pretty good cosmetic shape, haven't torn it down yet.Thank you again for all your help. I am learning quite a bit from you Fred.

foakes

We all learn from each other, John --

That is what this site is all about -- helping each other with parts or advice -- learning new things daily -- and enjoying our craft along with other like-minded reel nerds.

The most experienced folks on our site (that's not me) will always try to pick up a new idea or trick every day.

Plus, a new person coming to this site -- can learn as much, or more in 120 days -- as most reel repair professionals learn in their first 10 years.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

sdlehr

I just saw on the ORCA forum that someone removed the paint from an aluminum spinner simply by putting it through the self-cleaning cycle in the oven! Every speck of paint seemed to almost vaporize from the surface! Now, I'm not saying anyone should do this in their kitchen, particularly if their wife is at home, but I for one am going to look carefully at my reels the next time the oven is about to be put through a cleaning cycle and perhaps put in some painted metal parts to see how well this works. I have an old Mitchell 300 that I had thought about repainting that may get well-baked before this is over...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Johnj67

Absolutely love this website. If I used the oven my wife would kill me.

rippin_lips

Quote from: sdlehr on April 21, 2017, 01:45:07 AM
I just saw on the ORCA forum that someone removed the paint from an aluminum spinner simply by putting it through the self-cleaning cycle in the oven! Every speck of paint seemed to almost vaporize from the surface! Now, I'm not saying anyone should do this in their kitchen, particularly if their wife is at home, but I for one am going to look carefully at my reels the next time the oven is about to be put through a cleaning cycle and perhaps put in some painted metal parts to see how well this works. I have an old Mitchell 300 that I had thought about repainting that may get well-baked before this is over...

Sid

How hot and how long is the self-cleaning cycle?  If it's hot enough and long enough to "vaporize" paint I would be concerned what it does to the metallurgy.

foakes

What works for me --

Take all of the parts to be polished that require removing the paint beforehand -- to one of the powder coating shops in town.  For $10 cash, they will dip everything at once (5 or 10 reels) -- takes about 3 minutes -- done!

Or I trade out reel work -- either way, I don't have a caustic vat of dangerous stuff taking up room.

And I generally get more work from the shop's buddies, when they find out that someone does reel service and repairs -- and they can just drop off their reels at the PC shop.  All of these guys are into bikes, motorcycles, hot rods, fancy boats, show cars, old gas pump restorations, pedal cars, etc -- so it is a fun thing for them -- but they don't want to mess with their own fishing reels.

Radiator shops can also do this stripping and dipping for you.

Then I just finish and polish the reel parts -- assemble it -- and we are done.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.