PENN SAILFISHER NO 130

Started by Cor, April 22, 2017, 09:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

A really nice member of this forum gave me a Penn Sailfisher no130 reel for a present, to collect or fish with, whatever I choose.
I have not opened these type Penn's since probably 1980 or thereabout, and started by cleaning and servicing the whole reel.   I presume my friend sent it to me as he obtained and it was full of hard black sticky grease.    The inside is in pretty good nick and all now works smoothly and after a day of soaking and "tooth brushing" is nice and clean.

I have a problem to which I am sure there is an easier solution then bending or drilling?
The 3 screw holes of the stand don't line up properly and I can not fit one bolt.  I tried turning it around, forcing it a bit with all other 5 screws loose, but to no avail.    Yet it came with all screws in place.

How do I do this?

The thread in the stand plate is misaligned by about 50%, as you can possibly see on the photo.
Cornelis

mhc

Hi Cor, Looking at your top photo, it looks like you might need to rotate the right hand plate one hole clockwise. The eccentric lever stop should be near the back twin posts when the reel is in freespool.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cor

Mike yes, indeed a tiny light is going on here.  ???  Did notice the handle was a bit high, away from the stand.    Will go check it out, but I am nearly sure you're spot on, look here at this pic which I already had.   Not used to a reel with so many screws!
Cornelis

RowdyW

Also the center hole for the stand is opposite (180*) from the lugs.

mhc

Nice looking sailfisher Cor, it looks to be be in great condition. Post a few more photos when you finish assembling it.
Good tip Rudy, I hadn't noticed that, but it makes sense now that you've pointed it out and it's an easy way to describe it.
Mike

Cor

LOL, I wonder how long I would have stared at it and how many times I would have turned it over, dismantled it and re-assembled it before the penny "eventually dropped"   without help from AT.com! ;D ;D

I now also remember from my youth, "don't put short screws in wrong place" as you end up undoing the whole lot to find the culprit. :'(

The reel is very smooth still, I can't test the drag as there is no line on it but I don't think that will be very much good.

Thanks guys, I'll post some more photos when I dismantle it again.
Cornelis

Cor

OK I see you want pics of the assembled reel.   The yellow tub contains the bits of hard grease I had to scrape off, some of the bits I could hear falling on the plastic.
Cornelis

mhc

Wow! It's better than I first thought, looks to be very lightly used if at all. Your friend has been good to you.
Mike

Bill B

Nice reel brother......Time to take it fishing....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Cor

Quote from: TARFU on April 22, 2017, 03:17:24 PM
Nice reel brother......Time to take it fishing....Bill
which means Yellowfin, and the drag won't withstand that!
First need to do some upgrades if thats what I want to do.
Cornelis

STRIPER LOU

Looks great Cor. I like these reels. They're pretty solid but can be difficult at times if your searching for parts.

Keep up the great work and all the best,  ..  Lou

UKChris

That is a gorgeous Sailfisher. I'm so glad you didn't drill holes into it!
I have one - spins for ages, but looks its age. Yours looks new.

Cor

Quote from: UKChris on April 23, 2017, 01:27:52 PM
That is a gorgeous Sailfisher. I'm so glad you didn't drill holes into it!
I have one - spins for ages, but looks its age. Yours looks new.
Would not quickly have reverted to drilling!

This one also spins forever, but I guess a heavy spool like that will gain a lot of momentum.   I wonder how it would cast though.
Cornelis

sdlehr

Quote from: Cor on April 23, 2017, 02:36:38 PM
I wonder how it would cast though.
It'll cast about as far as you can throw a bowling ball.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Quote from: sdlehr on April 23, 2017, 07:42:19 PM
Quote from: Cor on April 23, 2017, 02:36:38 PM
I wonder how it would cast though.
It'll cast about as far as you can throw a bowling ball.

Sid

Right, light trolling big game reel -- not a caster.  Good for larger fish using lighter tackle.

Most folks do not know that it is a 3:1 ratio with a SS Pinion and steel main gear.

And even though it does not have the outer trim rings, and is 1/4" smaller than the 49 -- it is a stronger reel because of the steel gears, 3 screw stand instead of 2, and harness lugs.

This was Mrs. Henze's favorite reel for trolling -- light, not top heavy, and capable of bringing a large fish to the rail.

A capable, and little known Penn reel.

While the Mariner's are a great reel (349 Master the strongest, 49 second strongest, and 149 the weakest) -- this was their sportier cousin -- with just enough features to put it in a class of its own.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.