Penn Clamp to Fit Jigmaster Newell Base

Started by Decker, May 04, 2017, 01:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

I have two Newell bases for Jigmasters, neither of which have clamps or bolts.  Now I know which bolts to buy (8-32 thread), but my question is about which Penn clamp I can use.  The metal or graphite clamps that are standard for Jigmaster are too narrow for the Newell stand (part# 33-113).

Can someone tell me which Penn clamp will fit the Newell stand?    These ones seem like possibilities:
Penn 33-340 - graphite
33-TRQ - aluminum

Before I buy one of these, maybe someone can give me the benefit of experience.  Thanks!

/Joe

reel man

Tiburon makes replacement clamps for the Newell bases. Depending if you have a graphite base it would take a 15 clamp, if you have an aluminum base it would use a 20.

Decker

Tiburon parts are very nice, but I'd like to use a more economical Penn one. There should be one that works  -- but which one?  Thanks.

Alto Mare

The 33-200 will fit the narrow Jigmaster stand. The screws will also work, but I'm not sure on length, you would need to determine that once the reel has been mounted on the rod.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 04, 2017, 09:07:48 PM
The 33-200 will fit the narrow Jigmaster stand. The screws will also work, but I'm not sure on length, you would need to determine that once the reel has been mounted on the rod.

Sal

Sal, I am looking for a clamp for a Newell stand on a Jigmaster.   I believe the 33-200 is the same width as the 33-113 (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33-200.aspx).  I need a little wider clamp for the Newell stand.   I'm all set with the screws. Thanks.  /Joe

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

Joe, the 33-200 clamp will fit the narrow and standard Jigmaster. You might need to get the correct length on screws.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

If any of these would work, Joe -- they are yours...

Even have some 33-200 sizes with rings for securing to the rail.

Let me know.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Sal and Fred, thank you!   Let me look at this again... ???

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 04, 2017, 11:06:28 PM
Joe, the 33-200 clamp will fit the narrow and standard Jigmaster. You might need to get the correct length on screws.

Sal
Sal, your picture made me check. The 33-200 has a width of 1 7/16 between centers of holes. My Newell bases have a width of 1 11/16 between hole centers. There is a 1/4 inch difference. With long bolts it could work but I'd like to find a better match. I haven't ever owned any Penn bigger than a 113, but maybe a clamp for a larger reel would do it.

Or maybe I need to beat a 33-200 with a hammer until it opens up a 1/4 inch  ::)

Alto Mare

Joe, I don't think you have a standard Jigmaster, yours is probably a wide.
I double checked my dimensions and there is only 1/16" difference between the two that I have (standard and narrow).
The holes on the newell clamp are 1/8" in diameter, on the penn 33-200 they're 1/4".
This is why the 33-200 works nicely on both reels.

Let me check what I have, if I see anything 1/4" wider I'll send it your way, but don't hold your breath.
Maybe Fred will be able to finds one for you.

Sal

Just to make sure...
Is the ID on that reel 2  7/16",  plate to plate?

Swami805

Something about putting cheesy penn clamps on a Newell seems wrong to me. Pm your address and I'll send you a couple. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 06, 2017, 10:51:36 AM
Joe, I don't think you have a standard Jigmaster, yours is probably a wide.
I double checked my dimensions and there is only 1/16" difference between the two that I have (standard and narrow).
The holes on the newell clamp are 1/8" in diameter, on the penn 33-200 they're 1/4".
This is why the 33-200 works nicely on both reels.

Just to make sure...
Is the ID on that reel 2  7/16",  plate to plate?

Sal, mine is 2 7/16 plate to plate.    ??? ??? ???  

Quote from: Swami805 on May 06, 2017, 12:43:56 PM
Something about putting cheesy penn clamps on a Newell seems wrong to me. Pm your address and I'll send you a couple. Sheridan

Sheridan is offering some Newell clamps, so maybe I'll call this a moot point.   PM coming.  BTW, the only cheesy thing that comes from Philly is the steak sandwich!  Penn parts are not Newell parts, but there would be no Newell without Penn  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to all!