Fish pictures anyone?

Started by gstours, May 23, 2017, 03:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Hey Bill nice catch but that looks like a Golden Grouper to me. Though in the same family as a Cabrilla, which here in the states are also called Spotted Grouper but I don't think it is a true Cabrilla. Though many of the people down in Mexico call all of the grouper family of fish Cabrilla.

Here are some pics of Cabrilla, A.K.A. a Spotted Grouper.

Any way nice catch and a real tasty fish to eat.

SoCalAngler

Some of my favorite fishing pictures don't include fish in the pic so others might not find them interesting. I know you are looking for older pics here but here a few from a little ways back.

1999 with my son, 12 years old at the time, on his first mini long range trip (3 dayer) with his first BFT ever caught.

I love this pic. My dad with his grandson setting out a troll rod looking for a sundown screamer. Same trip by the way.

This is the next year when my son has a way better time managing the bigger BFT we ran into on this trip.

I don't know if any body will notice but these pics are on the SOA. It's kind of hard to tell because they are before the rocket launchers, rod holders were put on the boat aft of the bait tanks.

See no fish in two of the pics but I personally like these.

Steve-O

It's a leopard grouper in the golden phase. 1-2 percent of the leopard grouper do this gold color.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Steve-O on June 02, 2017, 01:27:57 AM
It's a leopard grouper in the golden phase. 1-2 percent of the leopard grouper do this gold color.

Your right I should of said leopard grouper when I said spotted. But I'm still not 100% sure if Mexfish is correct in this 1-2% call that the fish change color in certain stages. I know some marine biologist don't agree on this either, but what do I know? I just fish.

gstours

Thanks for all the great pictures,   and here is another winter spring salmon and my happy friend.   Twas an unexpected suprise! ;)

Keep your line tight,  and send some more.   Everybody? ???

Sulla

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 02, 2017, 01:45:38 AM

Your right I should of said leopard grouper when I said spotted. But I'm still not 100% sure if Mexfish is correct in this 1-2% call that the fish change color in certain stages. I know some marine biologist don't agree on this either, but what do I know? I just fish.

I thought it was a regular cabrilla during its change phase. But interesting to hear that some scientists don't agree and think it's a totally different species. Food for thought

swill88

Quote from: Bill Carson on June 02, 2017, 04:31:48 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 02, 2017, 01:45:38 AM

I thought it was a regular cabrilla during its change phase. But interesting to hear that some scientists don't agree and think it's a totally different species. Food for thought

Agreed, food for thought.

In my experience, while on the boat whatever the capt says it is that's what it is!

Steve

Keta

Quote from: Hardy Boy on May 31, 2017, 03:48:30 PM
One more and then that's it. Here is a pic of myself with a 35 lb chum and my buddies dad with a 37 lb spring way back in 1995. Turned out to be the IGFA world record (and line class) beating the old record from Alaska of 33 lbs .................... still stands. We were mooching cut plug herring so it was unusual to catch a chum but not unheard of.

I had the 6kg record chum for many years.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Lee, was that the fish that beat your record?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Quote from: TARFU on June 04, 2017, 05:01:04 PM
Lee, was that the fish that beat your record?  Bill

No, different line class.  The fish that knocked me off was a upriver slug caught in a Skeena River tributary, mine was a fresh saltwater fish caught 7-18-87.  The same guy beat his record a few years later on the same river.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Three se7ens

Had a decent day offshore today. Still getting stuff sorted and figured out, but at least we put fish in the boat.

Bill B

Good day indeed....well done brother.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Nice bobo's and specs Adam.
That is some primo bait right there. ;)
Life is Good!

TongassFisher

IMG_2564" border="0

Subsistence fishing with the inlaws.

Newell Nut