Penn 13-99 pinion gear question

Started by Jenx, June 03, 2017, 07:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

I have read in a couple of different places that the pinion gear from the Penn 99 (13-99) can be switched out with the stock Jigmaster pinion gear to lower its gear ratio to 3.7:1

I have also read that the 13-99 pinion gear has thirteen teeth while the stock Jigmaster pinion only has twelve. I recently ordered a 13-99 off of Ebay, yet when it arrived I noticed it only had 12 teeth, so I went back on Ebay to look around and I found another "13-99" for sale that also only has 12 teeth - it's the only one with a picture that I can count all the teeth on.

So just to clarify, am I mistaken in thinking that the 13-99 has thirteen teeth, or are people just mislabeling the pinion gears they are selling on Ebay?

Thanks.

Bill B

That's a question for the gearheads....Im sure they will be along shortly.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Jenx, I happen to have one of the really early 99's on my bench at the moment, this one has 13 teeth

Jigmaster's pinion on the right

Not sure about the later models, but most 13-99 that I've seen don't come with the ring as the jigmaster does

3.7:1 vs 4:1 ratio isn't really that noticeable on these reels, I would suggest keeping a fully assembled Jigmaster head plate in case you wanted to make the switch.
You would then go from 3:1 ratio to 4:1.
Just a thought.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Just checked my parts envelopes -- same as Sal -- 13 teeth.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jenx

Thank you guys for the clarification. I was pretty sure it was thirteen teeth, but I wanted to be completely sure before I contacted the seller.

I'm sure I don't need the 13-99 gear, but hey, it's another part to play with.

Thanks again for the help.