1960s? Daiwa Spinning Reel Ocean Star No. 36

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, June 12, 2017, 06:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Hello, all.  I have just purchased an Ocean Star No. 36 off of the big auction site.  I love Daiwa reels and I got this one for a song.  I don't have it in hand yet, will be here on Saturday.  Not a whole lot of information on this reel on the web (at least that I've found thus far.)

Here's what I've sussed out and inferred so far about this reel.  The box that the reel originally came in (I won't be getting a boxed reel but I managed to find pics of one), bears a striking resemblance to boxes and reels that Daiwa apparently was contracted to make for a company named Holmar.  I may very well be completely wrong, but I have pictures of a Holmar branded reel (King Neptune No. 180)  that states that it was "Proudly Made in Japan by Daiwa".  The styling and design of the (early?) King Neptune reels and the Ocean Star are strikingly similar, as is the font and name plates on the body of the reels.

ANY new information about this reel or similar Holmar reels would be extremely welcome.  I have spent hours poring over pictures trying to suss out the history of my new (to me) Ocean Star that I will be receiving.  I'm a nerd, I know.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

Midway Tommy

Ocean Star No. 36 is what was considered a large surf reel back when it was manufactured. It was made by Daiwa in the late 1960s. Some have "A Quality Product of Japan By Daiwa", and others (earlier) simply say "Made In Japan", on the bottom of the foot. Not really much else to say about them other than they have a selectable anti-reverse and a fold down handle. Daiwa made a lot of reels for various importers, Bronson, and under various names including Wilcox, Ocean Star & Captain Fishfinder, prior to seriously promoting their own name and identity in the mid 1970s and later. They made many similar crossover reels under different names during that era.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thank you very much for your help, sir!  Do you feel that they are strong fishable surf reels, if one intends to fish with an older setup? I.e. are there any know weaknesses? Thank you in advance. I bought it primarily for a retro setup to use for fighting big redfish, and when I saw the size comparison next to another medium sized reel, I thought to myself that it would probably work well for medium game.  If I'm mistaken, please let me know.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

Midway Tommy

I'm not a Japanese, Daiwa or Asian made reel guy so I can't give you any decent advise in that category. I'm sure there are some guys that have had plenty of Daiwa experience that will be along shortly. There are a lot of people who swear by Daiwa products.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I understand completely. I am an American tradesman and I buy American as much as possible, but my family has always had strong ties to Japan through relatives there so my grandfather fished mainly with Daiwa reels that were given to him. He taught me to fish, so I carry on the torch with his vintage reels, as well as my own.