Professional question!

Started by WalterWyman, June 30, 2017, 05:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalterWyman

Hey guys I have a question I am doing this as a profession at a local tackle shop. I did a cleaning on a reel improved the free spool and cleaned out salt and rust. Then he called back and said that the reel was crunchy when I got it back it was only a tiny bit of gear as it goes around. Is there any thing I can do to polish it away should I not worry about it? It's not bad but it's noticeable by the customer? Should I send out this guys reels?

Thanks

Wally
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

Dominick

Explain to your customer that you did not change the gear because it is not worth the cost.  Of course if he wants to spend the money redo the reel and change the gear.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

I've seen this scenario play out again and again, even in my own reels. You clean out all that sticky old grease and replace with lighter lubricants, looking for that 3 minute freespool, and all of a sudden the reel feels like a meat grinder. That heavy grease was keeping parts from "clanging and banging". Forget the freespool time and try greasing the spool spindle. Also make sure the main has a good coat...see if he likes that better. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

Happens frequently.  The older grease and salt was providing a barrier between the gears.  If he brings the reel back, open it up in front of him or take pictures and ask him if he would like new gears (assuming you can find new gears) or is he fine with what is in the reel the way it is.  You could also use thicker and stickier marine grease but will only dampen the sound and feel slightly.

Sometimes it's a good idea to take before and after pics and when talking with the customer, before he picks up the reel, explain that cleaning may obtain varying results, such as a grinding feeling with the explaination above.  It's like detailing your car.  You can wash it and it'll be clean, but once you start laying down layers of wax for a mirror finish, the flaws in the paint becomes obviously noticeable. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

What is the make and model of this reel, Wally?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

WalterWyman

Thanks guys great ideas! I use Yami lube that I cut with corsion x so it's paintable so it's thinner most people like the feel of the lighter grease. But I think I will have a thicker grease for the butter feel that some people think they want! The reel was a lexa 300 HD. No problem thanks for the advise!!
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

Bryan Young

Quote from: WalterWyman on June 30, 2017, 10:09:57 PM
Thanks guys great ideas! I use Yami lube that I cut with corsion x so it's paintable so it's thinner most people like the feel of the lighter grease. But I think I will have a thicker grease for the butter feel that some people think they want! The reel was a lexa 300 HD. No problem thanks for the advise!!
Lexa should not feel cruddy.  Likely will need new gears.  More than likely the salts have gotten into the gears and pitted them.  I would order new gears.  They are not that expensive and will make the reel feel smoother.

If the gears had salts in the grease and was pressed into the brass gear, when cleaned, the salt either dissolves or have been removed and now you have a different contact surface.

In these cases, I normally advise the customer of what happened after cleaning and the gears are rough and give them an option to replace or fish for another year then replace if it's tolerable.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

WalterWyman

Thanks Brian for your post! The gears are in good shape I am a minimalist when it comes to grease! This morning  I had some staff reels and cleaned them and experimented with different thickness of grease. In each case when I filled the grooves with a non mixed grease they were like butter! Some likes the butter and some likes the lighter approach to grease. For me I will just remember if they like butter or likes it with lighter grease!

Thanks again for all your help!!

Wally

handi2

Hey Wally,

The only time I thin Yamaha marine grease is in the smallest of spinning reels or for use in Alan's bearing packer.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

Quote from: WalterWyman on July 01, 2017, 07:28:12 PM
In each case when I filled the grooves with a non mixed grease they were like butter!

Yep...it's amazing the differences in feel and performance that can be had...simply by using different lubes! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

Goodyou hot it figured out Wally.

I personally like Evinrude Triple Guard grease on gear teeth only. I like the stickiness of the grease.