Gear sleeve pin trouble?

Started by biggiesmalls, July 16, 2017, 12:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Hello everyone,

Put the 9/0 together last night and she's almost finished. Only thing I can't get to is the gear sleeve. The problem I'm having is with the pin, it fits well into the sleeve when it's not attached to the bridge. Then when you put the pin onto the sleeve while it is on the bridge (ie fully assembled), it will barely spin.

I've seen someone (Sal maybe?) say on here to spin the gear sleeve's bottom on superfine sandpaper. I will give that a try and see how it does. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Drew

mizmo67

Another thing to try is to grind down the pin a little on one edge. Some of the shafts have wider necks than they used to and if the pin hole is a little too close, it gets tight. Ground edge would then be placed toward the shaft.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Gfish

That's the first I heard a that solution. What guys a been doin that I seen here is filing on the pin. I had it happen ona 113H upgrade(ss gearsleeve n' bridge) and I thought I put too much grease on the bridge stud, pushin the sleeve up too high. I chose ta file the stud groove, and it worked, but in retrospect, the pins probably a safer bet. Now yer talken 'bout somethin that sounds even better. Someone who really knows'll chim in soon...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

I also use a small round file and carefully chamfer the pin slot in the shaft until the gear sleeve rotates free when pinned.  You will need a little endplay but not too much.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Sand the pin Drew.
If the sleeve is tight, when it heats up during a fight, it will expand and lock up.
Life is Good!

reelrepair123

going to ask a dumb question maybe, did you put the red washer under the gear shaft?

biggiesmalls

Okay, gotcha on that part. Will sand it down... when I figure out how to remove it. No clue why the thing won't come out, I've had it in and out to test several times w/o trouble.

Is there any specific reason the pin gets stuck in the gear sleeve like that? Never had it do that. It's about halfway out, the smallest punch I have won't reach it (it's tapered). I bent the hex key trying to punch this thing out, and channel locks haven't pulled it out.

biggiesmalls

Not familiar with the gear shaft. I don't have anything under the gear sleeve though. The under-the-counter washer for the drag should be on top of the sleeve, correct?

RowdyW

Drew sometimes the pins have a slight taper. Try pushing it out the opposite way. Make sure there is no burr on the end of the pin before pushing it through.        Rudy

Swami805

I started using a drill bit for a punch, heated the pointed end and stuck it in an old file handle. Try what Rudy said I've had that happen too and was able to get it out from the other direction. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mike1010

Quote from: reelrepair123 on July 16, 2017, 03:47:45 PM
going to ask a dumb question maybe, did you put the red washer under the gear shaft?

Do you possibly mean under the sleeve and AR ratchet, on the post?  That was my first thought.  I like to put shim washers under the sleeve, to reduce lateral play (Sal's trick, I think), and know I've got too many washers when the pin binds on the post.  Lack of a washer would have a similar effect.

Mike

Cortez_Conversions

Hello Drew,
Is this a Cortez Conversions sleeve? 
Do you know what generation 9/0 you have? Bushing, Bearing, Drag accessible plate, H2? I'd like to know for general reference if there is a specific generation that is a little different.
Thanks,
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

biggiesmalls

Will try the opposite way, I have to push it in a bit more though. Channel locks have done me well with that.

Will see how this works out. Leave for the trip today so everything has to come now. Luckily we're not on the beach the whole time we have a house, so it can be done there

biggiesmalls

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on July 16, 2017, 05:05:25 PM
Hello Drew,
Is this a Cortez Conversions sleeve? 
Do you know what generation 9/0 you have? Bushing, Bearing, Drag accessible plate, H2? I'd like to know for general reference if there is a specific generation that is a little different.
Thanks,
Tom
Hi Tom,
The sleeve is from PennParts, I believe it's one of Alan's. It's the second generation with the "studs" instead of the triangular-shaped blades.
I have the brass one, it won't play well with high drags from Bryan's out but I'll bring it just in case. If I destroy it I won't feel bad.

Army_of_One

I'm pretty sure it's a tolerance issue.  The two items seem to be at the opposite ends of their given tolerances.  I have a gear sleeve that won't work on my 9/0, but works fine in my 6/0.  I am fortunate enough to have a couple of different gear sleeves to find the right match.  Your best bet is to grind the pin as others have said, or buy another sleeve to see if it will work.
Another day in Paradise!