Zebco Cardinal 3 spinning reel

Started by lifeofRiley, August 03, 2017, 05:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

lifeofRiley

Here's a video I found of a guy working on a cardinal. Looks like he adds a bearing in the drag stack. Not sure what type of lubes he uses though.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

Midway Tommy

These guys - http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/page/91  have been making specialty hot rod parts for the Cardinal 3/33 for a couple of years now.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

lifeofRiley

Does anyone know which tool I need to remove the bail nut? Thxs, it's got me stumped
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

foakes

This is what you need -- a Mitchell tool.

Gave one to John, kept one for myself, think there is another around here somewhere.  If so, I will send it to you, NC.  But I cannot find it right this minute.

Might find one on ebay, you can make one out of a Penn wrench using a hacksaw and file.  

Some good online screwdriver manufacturers have some available.

I will look this weekend through some boxes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

cut a slot in a screwdriver.    harryk

Midway Tommy

Quote from: lifeofRiley on August 10, 2017, 10:22:13 PM
Does anyone know which tool I need to remove the bail nut? Thxs, it's got me stumped

Here's the real deal (wrench) that came with ABU & Zebco Cardinals. The round outside of the hex portion fits the bail, side plate and drag knob screws perfectly without any slop or play. Notice that the screw slots are concave at the same arc as the outside diameter of the round part of the wrench.  The off set hex is for the rotor nut and the slotted end is for the bail nut.  

Like Harry said, you can file a slot in an old cheap screwdriver to suffice for removing the bail nut. Just make sure it fits nice and snug both directions.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Shark Hunter

I have two aluminum spools coming from Les Shaw for a 3 and a 4.
So far I have 3,4,6 and 7.
The 6 I got had a busted foot. Thanks for the parts Fred.
I just need time to transfer the guts to the new body.
3,6 and 7 pictured.
Life is Good!

foakes

That is the right one, Tommy --

I forgot about those -- never had that many old Cardinals apart before.

Have about 3 or 4 (33) gallon black garbage bags full of old reel boxes out in the storage container.  Lot of brands.

Kind of remember around 12 or 15 empty Zebco Cardinal boxes in the bags when I sealed them up.  They had stuff rattling around inside the boxes -- bet it was owners manuals, guarantees, wrenches, and oiler tubes.  The boxes were kind of unusual -- black with gold, I think.  Never really checked too close -- been around 10 or 12 years now.

I will check the sacks tomorrow -- and pull out one of the wrenches for Riley.  I will need you to PM me your mailing address, Riley -- N/C.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

good  morning  fred,     any word on the two cardinal 4 rotors and the cardinal 6 rotor?   take  care.   harryk

foakes

Boxed and ready to go out today, Harry --

It takes a 20 mile round trip down the hill to mail the stuff -- and the Post Office is small with limited hours.

So tomorrow is laundry day, and today is mail day.

Working on reels today, hanging a large mirror for Sue, maybe dinner and a movie tonight for our "play day".

Just heard her roll out of bed, I have been up for a couple of hours.

N/C to you on the parts -- appreciate all you have done for me, and are doing for others.

We can all share, as possible -- that is what makes this site very precious and unusual in the internet world of "what can I get today.com".

It is a two way street, and sharing folks like you are greatly appreciated. 

I figure that these reels and parts do not belong to each of us anyway -- we are just the caretakers for awhile.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

reelrepair123

fred  your the best,  i had no idea about the post office dilemma, sorry,  i really appreciate the parts, thank you,  anything you need let me know, if i can help, i definately will, take care my friend.   harryk

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on August 11, 2017, 06:17:53 AM
That is the right one, Tommy --

I forgot about those -- never had that many old Cardinals apart before.

Have about 3 or 4 (33) gallon black garbage bags full of old reel boxes out in the storage container.  Lot of brands.

Kind of remember around 12 or 15 empty Zebco Cardinal boxes in the bags when I sealed them up.  They had stuff rattling around inside the boxes -- bet it was owners manuals, guarantees, wrenches, and oiler tubes.  The boxes were kind of unusual -- black with gold, I think.  Never really checked too close -- been around 10 or 12 years now.

I will check the sacks tomorrow -- and pull out one of the wrenches for Riley.  I will need you to PM me your mailing address, Riley -- N/C.

Best,

Fred

Fred,
Let me know what you find when you look into those bags. I could use a couple of the styrofoam inserts for the Cardinal 4s and I might be interested in any of the others, Zebco green, Zebco black & wood grain, ABU green & ABU tan. Maybe even a couple of the black 50 & 150 series rear drag Cardinal boxes. I've got a few Cardinals in need of a permanent "shelter from the elements."  ;D  

Daron,
FYI, they make torpedo handles for the 6 & 7, too. Some are pointed & some have squared ends. Let me know if you would want to switch those trapezoid handle out.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Here is a wrench for Riley, out of one of the old Zebco boxes.

If you need it, Riley -- just PM me your mailing info -- NC.

I think I'll hang onto the old boxes, Tommy.  Someday, if I live long enough, they may be worth as much or more than a reel.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on August 11, 2017, 03:07:10 PM

I think I'll hang onto the old boxes, Tommy.  Someday, if I live long enough, they may be worth as much or more than a reel.

Best,

Fred

You should have turned them 6 or 8 years ago, Fred. They're only bringing 40 to 50% of what they were going for in '07-'12. That market has really softened the last few years. I sometimes kick myself for what I paid for a box ten years ago compared to what I pay for one today, but such goes life when you're a collector/hoarder.  :D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE