Zebco Cardinal 3 spinning reel

Started by lifeofRiley, August 03, 2017, 05:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeofRiley

I have a buddy who has gone on a buying spree and now has a bunch of Zebco cardinal 3's and Abu cardinal 33's. I've heard a lot about these reels over the reels, and have seen them in person, but never fished or taken them apart.  He wants me to clean several of them and also remove a bail like I've seen some old timers do. He does have one NIB with original schematic so I can reference that. I've done a good number of modern spinning reels, just wondering if these are difficult to tear down and clean/lube. I was thinking either shimano drag grease or Penn blue on the gears. Freshwater only reels.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

foakes

All easy enough, and doable, LOR --

Simple, super well engineered, and very capable reels.

MIdwayTommy & ReelRepair123 are the experts on these great reels.

And they could add a few tips, if needed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

They are pretty simple.
Those Cardinal 3's you have are worth some coin.
Life is Good!

lifeofRiley

Thanks for the picture with the sideplate off. I'm getting the reels tomorrow so I might be posting questions over the weekend when the work begins! Looks like the going rate on fleabay is around $175
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

ReelFishingProblems

I have a Abu Cardinal 4. Pretty similar. I love the internal setup. Easy to take care of, and it looks pretty neat too.

I like to fish it too, used to be my grandfather's so it feels like he's still fishing with me a little.

Midway Tommy

They area great, and expensive, little reels. You can use this Cardinal 4 tutorial. The process is exactly the same other than a little variation in the drag stack configuration. On the drag stack just make sure the flat side of the SS washers are positioned down against the body so they won't spin. Everything else is the same except the parts are a little smaller.   ;) If you run into any issues or have questions don't hesitate to ask.

FYI, the black Japanese made skirted ones are almost the same but have a little different anti-reverse and oscillation gear/arm setup which makes the A/R silent.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 03, 2017, 08:08:25 PM
They are pretty simple.
Those Cardinal 3's you have are worth some coin.

Daron,

If that's a Cardinal 3 it has a Cardinal 4 drag knob. The ridges on the 3 drag knobs are finer and closer together like this one.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Shark Hunter

It is a 4 Tommy. How many different models are there?
So far, I only have a 4 and a 6.
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 04, 2017, 07:23:48 PM
It is a 4 Tommy. How many different models are there?
So far, I only have a 4 and a 6.

In the Zebcos: 3, 4, 6, 6X, 7, 7X. The Xes designate High Speed.

In the ABUs, they're the same reels as Zebco but different numbers and colors: 3, 33, 4, 4X, 44, 44 EXpress, 6, 6X, 66, 7, 7X, 77, and a few newer (limited distribution post '90s) 3s with following letters designating models & colors like CDL, E, R PB, etc. The EXpress & Xes are High Speed models. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

MeanMachine

I have a Cardinal 4just like that. The spool blew up when reeling in a fish.  Are those spools still available?

foakes

Those are a little tough to find --

If you cannot find one cheaper -- I have one for $20 + $3 shipping.

3's and 4's are notorious for spools separating.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on August 05, 2017, 01:48:42 AM
Those are a little tough to find --

If you cannot find one cheaper -- I have one for $20 + $3 shipping.

3's and 4's are notorious for spools separating.

Best,

Fred

I've probably popped the front off of 15 Card 4 spools over the years but I've evidently been lucky on the 3s. I've yet have a Card 3 spool break. About 4 years ago, though, I retired all of my plastic Cardinal 3 & 4 spools and replaced them all with aluminum spools. Added about half an ounce but I breath easy now when I've got a fish on.   ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

MeanMachine

Where do you get the aluminum spools?

Shark Hunter

Great tutorial Tommy,
Don't know how I missed this.
Life is Good!