Penn 67 Long Beach Challenge

Started by Ken_D, June 08, 2011, 03:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Hi, Folks.....I 've been given one of these to tune up....It's got the strangest drag system. Well, strange to me at least. There are three washers inside the steel main: One rust-coloured, and thin but really stiff, and two black ones REALLY, and I mean ~really~ thick, and stiff

I can only suspect this was an economy measure, as the gear appears tall enough to hold a stack of 5.
My question is, therefore: what will be the part numbers for any other Penn system, so I can buy the nesessary metal and fiber to make it a stack of 5.

A down and dirty calliper of the ID of the main gear is 20.68 mm, 0.807 inches.
Washers: 1@0.031" / 0.78 mm, 2@ 0.092" / 2.36 mm.  After I typed this out, I remember Alan did a Penn cross chart.  I'll try and find that, and see if I can answer my own question.

Thanks, Ken.

Norcal Pescador

Ken -
Bumping this up to a 5+1 drag stack wouldn't get you much. Stronger drag yes, but the gears and gear sleeve will be the weakest links. The stock drag washers are 6-113, a thicker version of Penn's 6-60. As bad as the washers sound, I'd replace the metals also (set of 7C-60). Stay with the 3+1 by putting a 6-155 under the main gear in place of the fiber washer. That's about it for a basic tune-up.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn67.aspx  
If you really want to make it a 5+1, then use five 6-60 Ht-100s (if there's room) and you'll need an additional 7-60 and an 86-60 metal drag washers in addition to the 7C-60 set. No guarantees!   :-\
Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Ken_D

Thanks a tonne for the info ! The brass metal set was friction-crud-welded to the fatter drag washers, requiring the use of an Olfa knife to split them up. So I'll change them as well.

Having not seen this model before (only Seaboys, 330/345/209/309s) I'm appreciative of the order of play, and the part numbers.  Best, KD.

Norcal Pescador

You're welcome, Ken. I had a 114H in for tune up and never did get a brass washer separated from the thick fiber. Rebuilding the drag set on the 67 will give you three functioning drags instead of only one or two and the HT-100's are so much better anyway. Rob
Rob

alantani

seen this before.  put one of dawn's drag washers under the main gear.  then you can use a full penn set of five #6-60 ht-100 drag washers and a 5-washer stainless steel set to hop up the drag stack.  this is another reel that GREATLY benefits from a stainless steel gear sleeve.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Ken,
I stand corrected. I guess I was in the Long Beach 60 mindset. Sorry about the minimalist recommendations. :-[
Rob
Rob

Alto Mare

I'm still trying to figure out why this reel is rated for 50 lb  mono :-\. This reel share its guts with the Penn long beach 60 to 68, also with the 111, 112, 285 and more. It's a slowpoke like the rest of them that I mentioned here. In my opinion, I would change the gear sleeve as Alan recommends, but would leave the gears to 1+3 as Rob mentioned. Increasing the washers to 1+5 might be too much for the gears to handle,you could do it , but need to be careful how you fish it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

The 60 and 65 have different gears than the 66, 67 and 68. The 66, 67, and 68 have a beefier main gear with larger teeth that tolerates a bit more drag and the 60 and 65. You can bump up the drag with a 5 stack configuration, and if you stick on the SS gear sleeve you have a much stronger reel. But these are such slow, slow reels that I find them hard to fish. Still, I see quite a few being fished up here...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Righ you are Akfish, the 60 and 65 have slightly smaller gears then the 67, all the rest of the reels that I mentioned have the same gears and they're all rated for 30lb mono. I'm sticking to my comment about keeping the washers to 1+3, the reel would gain @ 5lb of pressure per washer, adding two it would gain 10lb of pressure. I don't think these reels could handle it. Just my opinion!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

these older long beach reels were best suited for dacron, twice as thick as mono.  i actually have a long beach 68 that has been totally serviced and is loaded with close to 1000 yards of 50# spectra.  i am using the reel just to store the spectra.......   :-\

Ken_D

Regrets for the long delay in adding...the drag parts arrived in the mail yesterday, from you-know-where.
It turns out that they sent ht 100's for a three-washers gear, whereas this gear is much, much  deeper.

No matter. I have enough material metal and drag, to make it work.  I used the three ht 100's, then shimmed up the space on the top of the gear with the two brass washers without the ears, so the star will work fine.

But that's not the questrion today.  Much to my chagrin, I'd overlooked the eccentric spring.   I have no spare, and the factory one is de-hooked, and undamaged. It's made and installed backwards, compared to the 330 type spring, and I'm struggling as to how to install it.

I can't quite figure out the orientation, So I'm needing help to get this bit set correctly, and functioning, keeping the spring intact, instead of destroying it, by improper install.  I have no spares in case I pooch it.

Not being all that 'up' on Penn, is there a tutorial here of another number, that uses/shows how the eccentric spring goes, as  the same eccentric spring as the long beach 67.  If not, May I have some helpful hints.  Thanks, Ken.

redsetta

G'day Ken,
I'm unsure what you mean by 'dehooked', but the orientation is clear on the schematic: http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/pdf/Penn/Product%20Diagrams/67.PDF
Hope that's of some assistance...
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ken_D

Hio....unhooked: I meant that the eccentric sprring was present in the baggie, and not hooked to anything.  Just loose. As luck would have it, I went through Alan's tutorials, and found that the jigmaster's eccentric spring is the same as the 67.

Using the technique shown in the thread, I got the spring functioning, without damage. My mistake was attempting to install it without the eccentric lever and screw. Once I saw how Alan handled it, bada boom.
Thanks for your reply.  KD.

alantani

you can use one of the #6-60's under the main gear and five inside.  you will also need two extra metal washers, one slotted and one keyed.  this will convert the drag stack to a "1+5" system.  this is another reel that greatly benefits from a stainless steel gear sleeve.  which reminds me, has anyone heard from bert about his reel?

Alto Mare

Hello Ken, a stainless steel gear sleeve would be a good upgrade on that reel , as Alan recommends. When you're all done with the upgrates, I wouldn't load the reel heavier than 30 lb. test line. Good luck, Sal

Hey, does anyone see a face on the eccentric of a man with a beard resembling Lincoln or did I have one beer too many when I came home.