Sideplate color differences

Started by Padre, September 15, 2017, 02:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padre

Apologies if this has been answered a dozen times already. I couldn't find it with a search.

Are there functional or quality differences between reels with different sideplate colors? Or is just a matter of Penn offering the same reel in different colors? I see bright red, maroon, and black.

If it's helpful, I'm wondering in particular about a 113h. Any other tips for what makes one reel more desirable than another, apart from condition?

Thanks!

RowdyW

Black plate 113 is a Senator. Red, dark red, maroon, & burgundy are Special Senators.  Some of the red plates are injection moulded & had a recall at one time that is now expired. Some of the early 113H's had outside accessible drags later ones don't. Your choice, both are good.                   Rudy

fishgrain

different color = different model
different shade = different generation of production / era (same model)

as Rudy said for Senators, standard 113 and 114 always have BLACK plates, while the 113H and 114H are always some shade of RED, MAROON, etc

you could say the 113H is more desirable than the standard 113, for example the main gears are very different.

the 113 was just a beefy longbeach best I can tell, but then out came the 113H (late 1960's I believe) as a "light tackle big game reel"

Holding 450-550 yards of 30 lb test with a drag capability to match ..... the Penn 113H is one of if not the most popular saltwater reel of all time.

thank you,

Jay Grob

RowdyW

An exception to the rule is a few real early scarce 114H Special Senators were produced with black plates. I have three pristine ones & looking for a few more. They must be original and a 9 out of 10 or better rating.

1badf350

Quote from: RowdyW on September 16, 2017, 11:12:15 PM
An exception to the rule is a few real early scarce 114H Special Senators were produced with black plates. I have three pristine ones & looking for a few more. They must be original and a 9 out of 10 or better rating.

Yep...I have two  ;)
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Penn

Don't forget the green  ;D

fishgrain

very nice !!! ..... thanks for posting  ;)

broadway

Tony, I dream about that reel sitting next to "Big Red" (my red plated 9/0)... that would mean it was Christmas all year long in my house. ;)
I love that reel, thanks for posting her up,
Dom

Penn

Quote from: broadway on September 20, 2017, 07:39:07 PM
Tony, I dream about that reel sitting next to "Big Red" (my red plated 9/0)... that would mean it was Christmas all year long in my house. ;)
I love that reel, thanks for posting her up,
Dom

:D

RowdyW

Tony, seeing as how the green plated 114H is still at the factory how did that one come to be that color? I believe it was a presentation piece to Mrs. H.                          Rudy

thorhammer

That looks the display case at Penn. Tony zoomed in, but that case is slap full of such wondrous shiny baubles.  I expect they had to clean the glass of fingerprints and drool after we left, plus mop the floor in between the Parts bins....