Something new

Started by Yogi_fish808, November 07, 2017, 01:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

I recently picked up 2 really nice used ulua shorecasting rods that had really good blanks, an 12'6" All Star Ultragame and 14' Big Catch/Outcast Magnum that both could use new guides. I figured it would be a perfect time to step up and learn to at least re-wrap my own guides. Youtube has a lot of really great, easy to follow tutorials that made the learning process much less painful than I thought it would be. I'm still pretty terrible at this but I'd trust my wraps not to fail and from arms length to a non-expert they look ok haha! It's nice to learn something completely new to me, always be a student.

Aloha,
Kyle

A very basic under and overwrap for my first go

After glassing with epoxy finish

My current/2nd project. Fooled around with an inlay and tag ends

Crow

Looks pretty darn good, to me !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bryan Young

Getting better Kyle.  Practice makes better.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

I would trust you to fix my guides.

Good progress.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

nice work, Kyle. are those Recoil guides?

steelfish

Kyle, really nice work, you dont need anything more that what you already can do.
now you have to chose if you want to build rods for the Show or for the Go

I've choosen to build them for the Go and my friends seems to like it that way too.
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Looks really good  wouldn't have known it was your first try if you didn't mention it. Time to catch some fish with them!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: thorhammer on November 07, 2017, 05:09:39 PM
nice work, Kyle. are those Recoil guides?

The coil guides are what Hawaii anglers refer to as "Hilo coil". Mine are titanium but typaically they're stainless. These are made to "throw knots" and not risk having welds or inserts pop out from bulky knots like a 80lb-300lb bimini to albright passing thru them during a cast. From what I understand they originated out of necessity because 40-50 years ago especially outside of Honolulu there wasn't a whole lot of rod building supplies available.

Thanks guys. For now guides and the basics are all I needed to fish these rods. I may learn the decorative stuff later.

Swami805

You know where to get "hilo guides" online? I have some shark guys casting  heavy sinkers with 100 pound braid and 200lb mono leaders with giant knots. Absolutety trashes the guide frames. I started using big #14 chrome bridged guides but those look like they would flex a little too,could be a better solution. Thanks

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Swami805 on November 07, 2017, 10:54:40 PM
You know where to get "hilo guides" online? I have some shark guys casting  heavy sinkers with 100 pound braid and 200lb mono leaders with giant knots. Absolutety trashes the guide frames. I started using big #14 chrome bridged guides but those look like they would flex a little too,could be a better solution. Thanks

The one thing about stainless hilo coil guides is they are known to not do well at all with braid. The braid under heavy drag with the amount of line shark guys have out will groove them badly. The titanium versions may do better, ask guys here who know more about the wear properties of titanium. Hifishgear.com should have them in stock. Brians fishing supply or J.hara Store in Honolulu may have them and do phone orders/online orders on their facebook pages. They will run around 140ish a set.

Swami805

Thanks I'll look into it.

happyhooker