sealed ball bearings VS open ball bearings

Started by trishul, June 28, 2011, 08:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trishul

hello all im a new member in this site, any of you guys wonder or knw what one is better in reels is it the sealed ball bearings or is it the open ones and how long before the sealed ones need changing and how to open the seal without damaging the bearing this is really getting to me as my penn  special senators have sealed ball bearings while my tlds have the open ones that are easy to clean and service any help or info on this would be a great help thanks and cheers guys  ;)

rodent

I do not know how to do the fancy links, but you can find it under "general procedures" topic bearings.  it will give you everything.

redsetta

Hi Trishul,
There's a vast amount of information on Alan's site about bearing types, maintenance etc.
To reinforce Rodent's suggestion, perhaps try a search on 'bearings' and scan through the results (you may need to set aside an evening or two, though!).
On balance, open bearings are generally better if you maintain your reels regularly.
An array of variables such as bearing quality and composition, bearing purpose and size, lubrication type and fishing style (to name but a few) all have an influence...
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

trishul

thanks alot guys very helpfull indeed tight lines to all :)

Bryan Young

Do you have any other questions after reading the discussion, please post and we will do our best to answer you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

trishul

hello for now not really i am just absorbing all the info on the site but im sure i will in future cheers and thanks alot again this site and you all are a good wealth of info ohh n by the way i tried opening some bearing its a fidly job esp on small bearings but its doable  :)

alantani

it's an awful lot to absorb, i know.  the search functions with this software are not the best.  when you are just starting, there is a very high probability that your question has been asked and answered before.  in general, i think it's best if you do this.  first, try a search and check around a little.  if you don't find your answer after a minute or two, go ahead and post your question.  i don't want you spinning your wheels all day.  and welcome!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

And the 'Search' only searches the board you're in, so for maximum results search from the home page. If you want to filter a bit, go to a specific board (like "General Procedures") and search there.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

trishul

mako42

I just destroyed my first bearing trying to pry off the pressed in seal.  This cover was on a small bearing, and it was a bear.  I tried a fish hook, a dental pick, and finally destroyed it with the tip of a thin knife. I didn't have a scapel, and I'm kind of glad, because of the pressure I was using, I could lose a finger!  Any tips would be appreciated!  David

redsetta

It's relatively less important to get the shields off small bearings and certainly not worth doing yourself an injury in the process.
I'll sometimes use WD-40 or carb cleaner (through the straw) straight against the shield of particularly small bearings, then force in grease (or ReelX etc).
Alan's bearing packer will push grease straight through, regardless of the shield, so you may want to consider one of those.
Here's the link: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=870.0
There's also some good info here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

trishul

hi david you may want to try a sewing needle a tiny one thats what i did and it worked fine, by the way just curious what reel was the bearing from
thanks
trishul

mako42

Hello Trishul.  The bearing I broke was the small spool bearing from a TLD 20.  It was pressed in, and didn't have the collar key to remove.  Those are easy, but this one was a bear. I damaged the race pushing the tip in too far and lifting.   For really tiny bearings, I found that a 25 gauge needle from a syringe is sharp enought to get under that fine collar and lift them out.  I have to older TLD 20's and both are stamped from Japan on the reel seat.  The older of the two had spool bearings without the collars. 

trishul

hi dave i got the same reel but i got mine just two years ago and the other in 2006 they are all written product of malaysia but soo far have been working great and servicing and repacking the bearings is not too bad but i use the needles to remove the shield, by the way all cheap shimano reels i think under 300usd are made now in malaysia i got a stella its says japan, soo are cheaper penns but i got a size 16 thats from USA, got all my reels from tackledirect