Screwdrivers

Started by Scattergun2570, December 13, 2017, 12:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Being I can't see the Wiha drivers I was going to buy in person..I am a bit nervous about buying them without feeling them..plus I get the feeling that the handles are kind of thin.,which is not something I want to break a tight screw with.. So are the handles thin,? Can you suggest a driver that has more to grab?  Also ,I posted in the spinning reel section under Daiwa..no one has answered even though it's been read about 50 times..maybe you can help with that as well?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George6308

Brownell's is another option.

SoCalAngler

I come from a very different background than others here. I was never a gunsmith or really needed trick or specialty type drivers for that kind of stuff. I have a Telecom/Electrical background and have been using Klein tools for over 30 years and will keep using them. Most of their drivers have larger rubber cushion grips with heat treated tips.

I know some here like the hollow ground blade drivers and that's fine but for me I like the Klein's that I have had for ever with most showing little signs of wear and the grips are great.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/screwdrivers-and-nut-drivers

Alto Mare

I have Kleintools and use them. My  electrician sub contractors use them exclusively, but tell me the newer ones are not of the same quality.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 13, 2017, 02:23:42 AM
I have Kleintools and use them. My  electrician sub contractors use them exclusively, but tell me the newer ones are not of the same quality.

Did you happen to read my other post? Not getting much response there.

Shark Hunter

I recently was looking for the best set of bolt cutters I could find.
Klein was on top of the list.
After a little research, It is made in China.
For 25% of that price, I bought a set with molybdenum jaws that will cut anything.
Also from China.
It is a no win situation.
I bought a set of porter cable cutters too from Tractor supply.
Porter Cable is a known for their American roots.
I was disappointed when I read the label.
Also made in China. ::)
Life is Good!

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 13, 2017, 02:42:25 AM
I recently was looking for the best set of bolt cutters I could find.
Klein was on top of the list.
After a little research, It is made in China.
For 25% of that price, I bought a set with molybdenum jaws that will cut anything.
Also from China.
It is a no win situation.
I bought a set of porter cable cutters too from Tractor supply.
Porter Cable is a known for their American roots.
I was disappointed when I read the label.
Also made in China. ::)

Hey Shark,any chance you could read my question about the TDA4000?

Swami805

I know bupkiss about that particular reel but shims can work magic on many situations. I keep a bunch of random sizes around and a tiny shim can make a huge difference. If your handy with cutters and a drill you can make them out of many types of thin material. I'd try that before spending a bunch of money on new gears. Just my 2 cents
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

Both Wiha and Wera screwdrivers have handles that are in proportion to the blade size. Large blade - large handle - small blade small handle. I have large hands and all of them fit me just fine. I prefer Wera but I also use Wiha (particularly their torque screwdrivers). Over the last couple of years I've replaced all of my goto screwdrivers with one of these goto German brands.
For many of the smaller slotted blades I use Wiha bits - they are nicely hollow graound and work well on fishing reels. If I chew one up I just bin it and use another. It works out cheaper than replacing a screwdriver and easier than trying to re-grind one.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 13, 2017, 02:23:42 AM

About 2 years ago someone helped themselves to part of my tools  :-[. Luckily it was mostly less expensive hand tools and not my butt set, volt meter, various termination tools and such as I keep those with me when I go to a job site. Any way about half of my drivers were in that box so I bought another set. Yes, the quality did go down a little from my older ones but it was mostly cosmetic and to this point of time the new drivers seem just as durable as the older ones I still have. On a 1 to 10 scale comparing the older to newer I'd rate the new set at a 9.5 do to the slight cosmetic issues.   

foakes

The best screwdrivers are the ones that work for you --

Sort of like Ford and Chevy, Democrats or Republicans, Catholics or Protestants --

There are so many good products nowadays to choose from -- basic guidelines for me, would be:

Hardened hollow ground, parallel blades in proper sizes
Good grip, as needed for the application -- but not overkill
Ability to really grip and apply pressure -- as well as to gently one-handed palm/finger finesse a tiny screw out
Initial price & value
Guarantee to stand behind products
Established and capable company
Experienced choices of other professionals

For me, like many of us -- already having maybe 300 screwdrivers and another 300 bits in drawers -- it has boiled down to this --

Wiha for primary reel work, Brownell's fixed blade set for firearms work, Craftsman for wood and automotive work.

Also like the wood handled, square shank Grace -- plus for a good value, a nice set of the Chapman's with all of the bits (good for trips).

At the end of the day -- I am mostly loyal to Wiha & Brownell's.

Recall when a tiny fixed blade Wiha twisted at the tip -- a quick call to Wiha, and replacement was in my mailbox in 3 days -- NC, no questions, no hassle, no drama, no returning the broken product -- just standing behind their products -- and taking care of a consumer honestly and smartly.  (It was my fault it twisted since I knew the screwdriver was too small for my application, and I told them as much up front).

So my work has been distilled down to Wiha, Brownells -- all I need at this point, and just right.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

I've been accumulating tools for years and never gave it too much thought except for chainsaws and climbing gear for work. I bought a set of wiha nut drivers just to get the tiny one that fits the threaded insert on a Newell. Very nice set and works perfect on the threaded insert. Hope I can find a use for the other 5 in the set haha. Now if I need something deffinely that brand is at the top of the list. Great little tool
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gobi King

I had good luck with homedepot/lowes house brand like husky/kobalt,
I just buy whatever is on sale/clearance  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

foakes

If I was buying reel screwdrivers right now, this is what I would do:

If someone bought this set on sale --

https://www.wihatools.com/on-sale/softfinishr-slotted-phillips-torxr-pozidriv-square-screwdriver-20-piece-set

Then this micro set on sale --

https://www.amazon.com/26197-Precision-Slotted-Phillips-Screwdrivers/dp/B01L46TEN2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1513263571&sr=8-7&keywords=wiha

This would take care of 95% of our professional reel repair screwdriver needs, IMO.

You don't need to break the bank -- but proper fit, control, and selection are key, IMO.

When we ruin an 80 year old screwhead on an old valuable reel -- we will learn the advantage of proper tools.

Amazon has good values on these Wihas -- with free shipping.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.