Brand New Avet MX Drag: Jerky...

Started by fish4life, July 02, 2011, 07:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish4life

Hey Alan,

I just bought a brand new Avet MXL, lined with 25lb Ande, and the spool start up is exceptionally jerky at 7-8lb strike. I greased the drag with Cal's and retested. Still the same thing. The drag smooths out, as typical, once the spool begins, but is still not as smooth as my older SX. Do you have any idea why this is or how I can fix it? This is very disappointing....  :-\

Input from others is welcome.

Thanks,

Tony

alantani

what is the drag setting?  at heavier settings with grease, things tend to flatten out and the high spots disappear.  it's the high spots at light drag settings that cause the stutter.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fish4life

Other then 7-8lbs of pressure at strike, idk what you mean. As you know, that is nearly maxed out for the MX Avet. So, it is a heavy drag setting I am assuming. The drag gets more "jumpy/jerky" with the heavier drag pressure, and smoother with less pressure. From what I understand from your relply, this is the exact opposite of what should be happening after being greased... The only thing that I can conjecture is that the drag was left engaged while it sat in the store, and compressed the plate?

ReelSpeed

How exactly are testing the smoothness of the drag? (i.e. - pulling line with hand, reel on rod with scale, holding spool and turning handle, etc...)
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

fish4life

Reel is on a rod. I fix the line to a rigid source, and pull the line directly off the reel, running through the eyes with infinitesimal resistance. The spool jumps as the line is removed, especially at start up. The line is mono, and wound very tightly, so this is not due to dig in.

I discovered this, after using a scale to determine strike pressure, while testing the action of the custom rod I had built for the reel.

Tony

wallacewt

could it be as simple as drag washers in the wrong config:?

fish4life

Doubt it, the reel is brand new. The washer is also glued in from the factory.

Tony

JGB

Did you happen to get a close look at the drag surface before you greased it? I have had  carbon fiber where it would kind of jerk or vibrate when line is drawn out slowly. It this case it was resin that was soaked through in spots. It may be possible that you have some glue on the surface  or defective carbon fiber drag disk. Try cleaning with acetone or carb cleaner soaked into a rag and retest the drag dry. If after cleaning you find black shiny spots where the carbon fiber weave is filled in you may have a bad drag.
Jim N.

Jim

Quote from: JGB on July 03, 2011, 07:50:38 AM
Did you happen to get a close look at the drag surface before you greased it? I have had  carbon fiber where it would kind of jerk or vibrate when line is drawn out slowly. It this case it was resin that was soaked through in spots. It may be possible that you have some glue on the surface  or defective carbon fiber drag disk. Try cleaning with acetone or carb cleaner soaked into a rag and retest the drag dry. If after cleaning you find black shiny spots where the carbon fiber weave is filled in you may have a bad drag.
Jim N.

I believe you've got drag washer contamination also. Had the same situation with another brand that went away after cleaning the washer with CRC brand 'QD electronic cleaner'. Things happen in reel assembly in the factory sometimes and even if it's not visible to the eye just a smudge of something can mess up the drag.

fish4life

fish4life

So, what do I do about this contaminated washer? Just ask Avet to replace it? Don't think they will take to that very well...So disappointed  :(

Cowbass

Avet may take to that better than you think... Call them
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

JGB

give Avet a call and see if they will either send you a new spool and drag assembly or if you should just return the reel
for exchange. Avet has been pretty good about new customer satisfaction.
Jim N.

fish4life

Their phone number doesn't work: 818-576-9895

Anybody know why?

Thanks,

Tony

Dominick

Quote from: fish4life on July 02, 2011, 07:07:56 PM
Hey Alan,
I just bought a brand new Avet MXL
Tony

Tony:  If you mean you just bought the item, if from one of the big box stores bring it back for a replacement.  If on line call the company.  If you paid for it with a credit card protest the charges.  There a bunch of ways to get satisfaction.  Sometimes the easiest thing is to get the company or store to exchange it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.