Quick 220 to a 221s?

Started by Alasgun, May 16, 2024, 08:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alasgun

Id really like to have a 221s but find the 220's more numerous. Can someone point me in a good direction. Im capable of swapping parts with some direction But, im not opposed to financing an up-grade.

Anyone have an opinion about this?
Thanks mike

foakes

The only difference between a 221 1:5 high speed and a 220 1:3 regular —- is the main and worm gear, a longer crank for more torque, a 221 badge, and a tiny red S sticker that denotes high speed.  Everything else is identical.

The trick would be finding either a decent 221 donor reel with a good set of gears to rob from, or a set of 221 gears.  Then just do a crank swap and a badge swap.

I have plenty of 220 gear sets —- but the 221's are very rare.

I might have some —- do not know without counting teeth.

It seems like I do maybe one or two of the 221's for clients every month.

Here is one I did a couple of weeks ago.  It was really rough before I restored it using a fair number of new key parts.

These are rare and outstanding reels.  Great size, high speed, strong, versatile.

If you found one, and wanted a full restore to new —- I could do that for you also.

Even if you found a rough one —-the gears would likely be fine.

I might have a few laying around that will eventually be restored to new.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alasgun

If i find a decent reel to start in on, how much will the up-grade cost me?\
Mike

foakes

$80 to $100, depending on the condition of the reel.

If you find a reel and do it yourself —- just the cost of your reel find.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.