Twinspin SR-12

Started by Laukia, July 03, 2011, 02:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laukia

The lay of the spectra on the spool is really uneven. It's all bunched up at the bottom of the spool. There are spool shims included with the reel to correct this when spooling up but the illustration is vague as to how or where to install the shims. Any advise?

Laukia

OK.......after I got into taking apart the spool I found the original shims and removed one. That solved the problem of laying the line evenly on the spool. However.....the spool looks overfilled with 300yds. of 50lb. spectra. I put it on with a fair amount of tension........how tight does it have to be spooled on to get 300 yds. on the spool? The manual says "fill the spool to approximately 1/4 inch from the spool edge" with "tension applied". As is, the 300 yds. fills the spool slightly beyond the edge. Has anyone actually put 300 yds. on this reel or just stop when it's 1/4" from the edge? Thanks for any advise.

alantani

they should not be overfilled, but you will probably be able to get away with it and not get tangled up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Laukia

I wonder why the Accurate specs would say 300 yds. capacity and at the same time call for filling to 1/4" from spool edge? Spectra says .012 and 300yds. on the one shot filler ..........??

JGB

Laukia,

Not all spectras lay the same. this is especially true on spinners. If you wish to pack the most on the spool you will need to use a line winder under a minimum of 4# tension with 6#  being preferred for this reel. The Line winder will allow the fill to lay the line parallel vs crossing if you use the reel to put the line on. Solid spectra will pack less on a spinner since more voids will be created as the line crisscrosses it's self. On a conventional the line pretty much lays parallel and packs tighter. If you use a soft hollow core like JB 40 you may be able to get a little more line on but the hollow will flatten and be affected by line twist.

Jim N.