Need Help From Reel Guru's

Started by xaf, January 10, 2018, 06:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

I have a question about the spool shaft on a Saltiga 30T.  If you look closely (sorry best picture I could get) at the left side (bottom in the picture) of the part (shoulder?) that engages the pinion gear there is a slight bevel.  If I spin the shaft 180 degrees the opposite side looks exactly the same.  My question is whether the shoulder is supposed to be like this or whether this is wear from engaging the pinion gear. (To me it appears so precise on both sides that it is machined this way but I want to make sure.)

Question 2:  If it is wear and I wanted to replace it, would I need to replace the whole spool and shaft or can the shaft be replaced separately?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

(P.S. I hope the picture shows up correctly.  It took me almost an hour to figure out how to post it. :( )

alantani

you should be good.  i'll bet it works fine!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

These bevels are often added in to help the pinion to disengage, from the spool when the lever is moved to freespool, or help it to drop into place when it is engaged.  

Any marring on the other side of each shoulder may have been damage caused by throwing the reel into gear when the spool is spinning.  

So, if you think about it, when cranking clockwise on a right-handed conventional, the main gear turns clockwise with the handle, and the pinion which stays in constant mesh with the main gear, will turn counterclockwise.  The leading edges of the inner pinion shoulder, top on right, bottom on left, will grab the spool when the gear is engaged.  And the trailing edges on the spool shoulder should allow the pinion to drop as it is being rotated.

Conversely, when the pinion disengaged from the spool, the opposite happens (lower right, upper left corners of the spool shoulder will disengage the pinion from the spool).  The bevels help ensure a quick/clean transition in and out of gear.  So that once the lever moves to freespool, and the spool starts rotating clockwise (line lays out), the pinion will move up/off of the shoulder immediately, within less then 5 degrees of rotation.  And when it is engaged, the pinion will drop down the ramp, and lock into place.

If you see marring on either side, you can fix it with a file, so you want the vehicle portion of the engaging sides to be smooth, and the transition ramps on the beveled side to smooth along with the verticle portion of the shoulders.  

Just drop the pinion on the spool by itself, and test it out, to see the fit and function for yourself.

The pinions often have bevels machined in to aid in the transition process as well.

Hope that makes sense?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

That is perfect.  The shoulder on the Saltigas and many other reels are beveled that was to allow a smoother engagement of the pinion gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

xaf

Thanks for the info.  I thought it was supposed to be beveled but, as I said, I wanted to make sure before I put it back together.