The Sailfisher 130 Project

Started by mo65, January 13, 2018, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

very, very, nice work Mike. IMO you should put ole skool pink Ande back on that sleeper and go slay with it! Note, Cabelas Salt Line is readily available in pink, blue and yellow and is very economical in bulk for a rough and ready line.

Gfish

Nice Mo! You got me interested in the  Sailfisher. That looks like an uncommonly large bridge plate, if I'm lookin at it in the right perspective. I really like the stock strength design on this'n.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

Mike: Let me add, Outstanding job!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Using a Delrin washer at the bottom of the main gear and one above the drag stack is always the best choice, no matter if you're trying to reduce drag or not.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

That's a great looking real Mo, cleaned up very nicely.

thorhammer

Quote from: Gfish on February 12, 2018, 09:54:20 PM
Nice Mo! You got me interested in the  Sailfisher. That looks like an uncommonly large bridge plate, if I'm lookin at it in the right perspective. I really like the stock strength design on this'n.
Gfish

the guts are way beyond that needed in a "sailfish" reel.. i was surprised.

handi2

Great looking reel. I have 2 now and really like them. They are super versatile.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

If Tom makes a frame and bar for these you wont be able to find one for sale....

Decker

Very nice, Mo!  I'm sensing a slow migration from sweet to saltwater in your posts. :D

Quote from: thorhammer on February 14, 2018, 02:43:32 AM
If Tom makes a frame and bar for these you wont be able to find one for sale....

If he makes a 970 frame, you could put its crossbars on the sailfisher, if my frankenreel sense is right.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on February 14, 2018, 02:43:32 AM

For sure John...as they aren't easy to find already. Actually, I was thinking a ss gear sleeve and aluminum spool would make this reel a household name. The frame work is pretty stout as is...with the six screw stand and top post. If we had an aluminum spool I could cast this thing. That bronze spool has the inertia of a freight train. I spun it and got a full minute of freespool...recipe for either a burnt thumb or a massive bird's nest. This reel fell into the same blackhole as the Silverbeach 99, two of Penn's greatest creations, yet many folks have never heard of either one. If anyone has ever dreamed of a faster, bigger, stronger LB60...this Sailfisher 130 is your boy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

That turned out splendid Mo!
What a beautiful reel!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

bhale1

Mo,
Wow, great job on the restoration!
And also, thanks for the play by play on your thought process on the drag stack. That plus the pics really help those of us with much less experience understand what you did, and why, and more importantly what is possible on these reels.
Thanks😁
Brett

swill88

I've got a couple of these hiding in a box-o-reels somewhere. They have moved up the list. Thank.

Decker

Exemplary job,  Mo!  I just picked up one of these.  I was ready to put together a Grouper Special narrowed 113 with 66 spool, but now I'm thinking this may be a better reel. 

TongassFisher

Mo,

Great post, perfect read with my morning coffee! It's a beauty!