The Sailfisher 130 Project

Started by mo65, January 13, 2018, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Looks like a great outfit !! And kudos on the clean-up !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Beautiful rod Mo, your restoration skills are beyond most others I've seen.

The sailfisher you created is very pleasing to the eyes and also looks intimidating matched up with that rod. Better hide it from your bro or he may steal it back when yure not lookin'  ;)  ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Mattman NZ

Hi Mo your 130 sail fisher is screaming out to be double dogged - It was one of the easiest to do - I used an old 200 bridge for the dog and an old drill bit for the post .

Rgds Matt.

thorhammer

great work! love the jeweling.

mo65

Way ta go Matt! If ss gear sleeves were available for these reels I'd be double dogging mine right now, and reap the full power of the carbon fiber 5-stack that I put the "rev limiter" on. Even stock brass sleeves are unobtanium. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Got a brass gear sleeve and some other parts if you need 'em  Mo. When I got mine, I bought 2. The 2nd one had an unusable tailplate and ring.

Mattman, howdaya peen down a drill bit fora bridge post? Aren't they pretty hard?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Mattman NZ

Hi Gfish - No peening required - the post I make are slightly larger than the hole and put a small taper on the end that goes into the bridge - a small drop of red Loctite to the post and press it in using a bench vice .

Rgds

Matt...

Ruffy

Just found this thread Mo, nice work!

A fishing buddy of mine who is a bit older than me (early 60's to my 38) was looking at my Penn 705z on a recent trip and said he had a few old Penn reels he used to use. I told him I may be able to fix them up and once we got back to his place to clean his boat he pulled out this 130. He said he had an old jigmaster somewhere but couldn't find it. Apparently his dad bought this 130 new, it was so expensive at the time it nearly ended in divorce ;D. I swear my wife has threatened that after a few purchases, funny how some things don't change...

Anyway, he does not collect reels, but fishes them hard. I am going to give it a complete overhaul taking into account your few changes - the 113 tension washer, and two delrin + 3 carbontex in the drag stack. My friend is pretty hard on his stuff; I imagine this reel will end up with the drag buttoned down and I would hate to see him strip the gears on a tight drag with a spool full of braid. I will be keen to see how well this patina cleans up, I notice yours came up quite well!

Cheers,
Andrew

Ruffy

The internal grease looks like mud!

Someone has been under the hood before - the thin wavy washer was between the handle and the drag star, and there is no small shim to be seen. The drag was either off or on. The drag washers all came out in pieces; I suspect they are the same material as yours Mo but cannot tell due to the grease (and I ain't cleaning them to find out!).

I have noticed now the handle is loose in the blade too, will have to reassess once it is all cleaned up.

Now to get onto the cleaning, and ordering some carbontex and delrin. Will need to track down the 113 washer as well. I will hopefully have this baby purring again one day!

Andrew 

thorhammer

Looking forward to the AFTER pic! Love these reels.

John

mo65

Shellbelly

Quote from: Ruffy on September 11, 2023, 06:38:06 AMNow to get onto the cleaning, and ordering some carbontex and delrin.
If you're going to fish it, I'd be happy to help you out.  I have some parts that aren't pristine but are good for a "working reel".  Just cover the shipping from TX.  I don't have everything for it, not many do anymore or they're locked up in secret places... but I'll help where I can.  

The 130 bridge sleeve is a larger diameter.  Keep that in mind.  Heck, most of that model is one-off.  You'll see!

I have some of these.  Getting them seaworthy is pretty easy.  Making one shine and work like new again can be challenging.

Thanks for wanting to save it! 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

thorhammer

Mike, where you been hiding? Let's see some big cat pics!

mo65

Quote from: thorhammerMike, where you been hiding? Let's see some big cat pics!

Fishing has been tough for us this year...only catching a few small ones here and there. My brother says we lost our "good luck charm" when ol' Robbie left us. I sure miss that guy. Thanks for checking on me, been doing fine, hope all is well on your end too! :fish

Ruffy

Finally got around to cleaning my friends sailfisher up. Man it is beat up! The chrome is completely gone from the spool. All the other chrome parts (base/bars/rings) have cleaned up reasonably well, but the chrome is clearly pitted so there will be little protection against further corrosion. The handle post has become loose with the grip ceased to the post, so the (previously peened) handle post spins in the blade. There is even rust on the base of the steel main...

I also realised why the drag would go from zero to 100. There was no wavy tension washer in there. I am guessing it probably rusted previously and got tossed, at which time there was no drag adjustment and it went in a box...

I've got three carbontex and two delrin for it - to make a three stack drag with two dummy delrin to space it out, as well as a delrin under gear. I can't source a 113 wavy washer as Mo's original hop-up but will call Daiwa tomorrow to see if I can get some 50H/300H tension drag washers.

I'll get it back to complete and functional. Given it's current state, I'll tell him he could fish it but knowing he doesn't look after his gear too well I may also suggest it becomes memorabilia for his shelf, or if he needs something functional a paper weight  ;D

Cheers,
Andrew