General questions after reading bearings/general maintenance threads....

Started by dalematlock, July 06, 2011, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalematlock

So, I've read the Bearings thread and while a great write up...I still just have some simple questions.

1) Is there any harm on just putting the bearings back open without the shield? In my case, some of my bearings have pressed shields and I don't have a bearing packer, so removing the shield is the only option.

2) Is Evinrude Triple Guard Marine Grease ok to use? I know everyone has their preferences (Yamaha marine grease), but right now what I have available to me is a big container of Penn grease, and Evinrude triple guard marine grease. Both are blue in color. Will either suffice for greasing bearings?

3) I have read thread after thread about how freespool has been increased, but what is the reason for improved freespool on big game reels? I could understand for casting reels on how it's important, but on bigger reels i.e Senators, Internationals, AVET's, etc...why the importance of how much freespool. I guess I just don't understand the basic theory behind it. Also, reading the threads suggests "oiling" the bearings closest to the spool...does that also apply for the big game reels that aren't going to be casted?

4) When I get home from the beach I typically do a light rinse on my reels, then use a brush with soap and water, scrub and rinse off and then dry the reels. Then Penn reel cleaner on a rag and wipe down the reels for corrosion protection. At what point, or what is a good indication of when it is time to break down my reels and give them a thorough cleaning? They haven't been submerged...but like my spinning reels take quite a bit of spray from the ocean when I walk out and cast baits. Or the blowing sand and what not on my bigger reels that sit in the sand spikes while sharkin' on the beach.

I know these may seem like trivial questions...but I really didn't find anything in the search feature or reading threads that addressed these issues specifically.

I know everyone has their personal preferences...but I'm not trying to make rocket science out of this when it all comes down to it. I would think taking a shield off and packing a good anti-salt blue marine grease would do just fine and slapping the bearing back in the reel and calling it a day.

So, lots of silly questions perhaps, but things that just make me scrunch my eyebrows and wonder...

Thanks for the help.

Dale

alantani

sounds like your reels are better cared for than mine!  i usually go with a fresh water rinse and then a wipe down with a rag sprayed with corrosion x.  regarding freespool, it's only an issue with casting or flylining a live bait.  for trolling, it does not matter.  the evinrude grease is fine. if you are going to pack a bearing with grease to give it better longevity, a shielded bearing is best.  if you pry open a shield and then pack the bearing by hand, just pry open one side and then push the grease in from the open side through until it squeezes out the side with the shield, then place the bearing back into the reel with open side down.  an open bearing will allow grease to get flung all over, so it will not last as long.  that seems to be the problem that shimano is having now.  at $60, if you save 5 bearings, the bearing packer pays for itself. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tomfrmnh

Hello,
New member here.  I have been trying to educate myself with all the information here before I dive into my first reel.  For my trolling setups where freespool isn't a concern, do you still recommend lube or grease?  I would think grease would be better for heat dissipation, no?

Thanks in advance and this is a great site with a wealth of knowledge.

Tom

Squirmypug

I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Tomfrmnh

Thanks for the reply.  Aside from freespool, does one offer an advantage over the other?

Jimmer

Sealed, grease packed bearings offer better corrosion resistance, open, oiled spool bearings give better freespool.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

Quote from: Tomfrmnh on February 02, 2012, 11:50:15 AM
I would think grease would be better for heat dissipation, no?

Grease, especially if you over grease and the excess has no where to go, can cause heat build up.  For low speed and load applications, like reels, this is not a problem.

Grease stays around longer than oil, I grease the spool bearings on all of my reels that are only used for trolling, my casting, flylining and bottom fishing reels are oiled with the exception of a reel I have detuned to reduce the backlashes when an inexperienced caster wants to try.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tomfrmnh

Thanks for all the responses.  Leaning toward using the oil for the spool bearing but still not sure. 

broadway

Tom,
    If you're trolling, don't bother with the oil go with a lighter grease than the evinrude and you won't have any issue with free spool unless you're chucking sardines/anchovies or small baitfish.
Dom

Tomfrmnh

Thanks Dom. I think that is what I will do. We mostly use mackerel up here when we are not trolling and even then it's mostly on balloons or kite. If I decide to start chucking fish and find freespool becomes a problem I will go to the oil.  Thanks for the help.  I'm a newbie (I'm sure that's obvious) at the reel tuning game.  What a great site.

alantani

several east cost guys had requested that their spool bearings be packed with grease, so i did it.  honestly, i really hated to send the reels back like that.  i really felt like i was cheating them.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!