2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Decker

Quote from: xjchad on January 17, 2018, 10:12:28 AM
Thanks for the awesome feedback guys!
While Logan is building the 180, I think I'll tear into the 970.  ;D

Can't wait to see the picture ;)

Gfish

Did the 180 come with a metal spool? Here's onea my brother's that I's gonna rebuild, witha plastic spool, but I'd like to have a metal spool, anyone wanna trade if they exist?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

29L-100 spools are hard to find, there is a NOS 29M-100 on eBay.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Black Pearl

Quote from: Keta on January 23, 2018, 03:21:36 AM

Guess what, Lee. I will be making 29-L-100 spool in aluminum. My resource just got the spool I sent him.

Keta

Mark Twain

Swami805

Randy at VOT might have a spool, he has a pretty bid stash
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Quote from: Black Pearl on January 23, 2018, 03:35:08 AM

Guess what, Lee. I will be making 29-L-100 spool in aluminum. My resource just got the spool I sent him.

AWESOME!!!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

xjchad

Quote from: Gfish on January 23, 2018, 03:10:51 AM
Did the 180 come with a metal spool? Here's onea my brother's that I's gonna rebuild, witha plastic spool, but I'd like to have a metal spool, anyone wanna trade if they exist?
Gfish

The 180 my son is building has the plastic spool.
We're going to trick it out a bit, but an aluminum spool is not on the list. I can't justify $40 for it.
Still planning to Mag it for him though to help him with casting (thinking way outside the box here ;) )

I'll start new build threads for his 180 and my 970 soon!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Keta

If you use Daccron or Spectra the plastic spool will be ok, you can break one with mono.

Mark Twain

Gfish

I see on Scotts Penn Reel Parts site that Pro Challenger's got a ss sleeve and frame bars that'll fit the Bay master.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

Sweet!!!! I was looking at my Black Pearl blue 501 spool last night and wondering about that!!!!!!!!!!!

Keta

Quote from: Gfish on January 23, 2018, 11:44:46 AM
I see on Scotts Penn Reel Parts site that Pro Challenger's got a ss sleeve and frame bars that'll fit the Bay master.
Gfish

They will work on a Monofil 27 too.

Mark Twain

mo65

I will be making 29-L-100 spool in aluminum. My resource just got the spool I sent him.

That's great news. We're talkin' about a spool that fits Baymaster 180, Surfmaster 100, and the Monofil 27, not to mention all the wider versions of these reels can also be converted to a narrow. It should be a great seller!

Quote from: Keta on January 23, 2018, 04:58:05 AM
If you use Dacron or Spectra the plastic spool will be ok, you can break one with mono.

Lee is right, that little spool will do fine with Dacron, its the type of line they used when plastic spools debuted. I've been fishing one spooled with Dacron for a few years now, it's doing just fine. If you really need to fish mono, wind on about a quarter spool of Dacron first...this will absorb the mono's stretching. And don't wind the mono on under heavy pressure...this is how the stretch develops. He can always get an aluminum spool later...when he steps up to "trophy" Porgies! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on January 23, 2018, 03:01:24 PM
I will be making 29-L-100 spool in aluminum. My resource just got the spool I sent him.

That's great news. We're talkin' about a spool that fits Baymaster 180, Surfmaster 100, and the Monofil 27, not to mention all the wider versions of these reels can also be converted to a narrow. It should be a great seller!

This is great.  Also will fit a Beachmaster, if custom narrowed. 

The narrowest spools seem always to be the hot sellers, but my personal preference are the mid-size models, like the Surfmaster 150, Jigmaster 99 (Squidder 145).  Someday these will get attention :)