2 (11.1%)
Penn 180
6 (33.3%)
Penn 10
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Keta

Quote from: Decker on January 23, 2018, 03:18:01 PM
The narrowest spools seem always to be the hot sellers, but my personal preference are the mid-size models, like the Surfmaster 150, Jigmaster 99 (Squidder 145).  Someday these will get attention :)  

With Spectra the wide and mid width reels are not necessary for most of us.  I do have 99 width Jigmasters, a Surfmaster 250 that I use for trolling reels and a Surfmaster 150 on the shelf.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Quote from: xjchad on January 23, 2018, 04:46:38 AM
Quote from: Gfish on January 23, 2018, 03:10:51 AM
Did the 180 come with a metal spool? Here's onea my brother's that I's gonna rebuild, witha plastic spool, but I'd like to have a metal spool, anyone wanna trade if they exist?
Gfish

The 180 my son is building has the plastic spool.
We're going to trick it out a bit, but an aluminum spool is not on the list. I can't justify $40 for it.
Still planning to Mag it for him though to help him with casting (thinking way outside the box here ;) )

I'll start new build threads for his 180 and my 970 soon!

The magnets won't slow a plastic spool.

xjchad

Quote from: swill88 on January 23, 2018, 04:06:37 PM
Quote from: xjchad on January 23, 2018, 04:46:38 AM
Quote from: Gfish on January 23, 2018, 03:10:51 AM
Did the 180 come with a metal spool? Here's onea my brother's that I's gonna rebuild, witha plastic spool, but I'd like to have a metal spool, anyone wanna trade if they exist?
Gfish

The 180 my son is building has the plastic spool.
We're going to trick it out a bit, but an aluminum spool is not on the list. I can't justify $40 for it.
Still planning to Mag it for him though to help him with casting (thinking way outside the box here ;) )

I'll start new build threads for his 180 and my 970 soon!

The magnets won't slow a plastic spool.

Yep, I understand that, but I've been trying to take the advice that Sal shares in his signature, "Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will."
So I'm thinking way outside the box here... maybe too far  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on January 23, 2018, 04:18:48 PM
So I'm thinking way outside the box here... maybe too far  ;D

I thought you meant it was going to be magged for a future metal spool...that's not too far outside the box. :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Quote from: Keta on January 23, 2018, 04:32:24 PM
Glue metal to the spool.

I learned something! Thanks Lee.

Please ignore my comment Chad

Gfish

If ya glue metal to a plastic spool and it works, please take a picture!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Somebody did that... not sure if it was here.  I think they used a copper washer?  Trick is to balance it right, I guess.

Keta

Quote from: Decker on January 23, 2018, 03:18:01 PM
The narrowest spools seem always to be the hot sellers, but my personal preference are the mid-size models, like the Surfmaster 150, Jigmaster 99 (Squidder 145).  Someday these will get attention :)  

I just got a stainless 30-66 stand for the post '90 Seaboy 190 project and it is 90% done, the post '90 Seaboy 185 was finished a few weeks ago.  I need a handle arm to put the AT "hotdog" shaped handle on to finish.  This "mid width" reel will be used for mid depth lingcod and inshore Pacific halibut, 250'-350'.  The extra line capacity will be nice to have when fishing deep and with any drift.

Quote from: Decker on January 23, 2018, 07:29:55 PM
Trick is to balance it right, I guess.

Yes, you are right.

Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Keta on January 23, 2018, 07:58:51 PM

I just got a stainless 30-66 stand for the post '90 Seaboy 190 project and it is 90% done, the post '90 Seaboy 185 was finished a few weeks ago.  I need a handle arm to put the AT "hotdog" shaped handle on to finish.  This "mid width" reel will be used for mid depth lingcod and inshore Pacific halibut, 250'-350'.  The extra line capacity will be nice to have when fishing deep and with any drift.

The 30-66 stand is one of my favorite parts.  They fit a several mid-size reels and come in stainless steel.

Lee, weren't you working on getting some SS arms cut?  Hope to see a posting about the Seaboy soon.

Fishing in the Northeast is very different from where you are (and not as good ::) ) but I very much enjoy hearing about it.   

Keta

The kidney bolder of the month problem I had last year put a hold on my life.  Right now I have a pet one camped in my ureter but I am pain free.  As soon as I get caught up with reel repair I will start back on that project.

Mark Twain

Decker

xjchad

Keta

Thank you.  I'm drinking 3-4 liters of water a day and quit eating food with high oxalate, most of the things I like to eat.

Mark Twain

xjchad