Vinegar mix or Simple Green? Which is safer?

Started by 1badf350, January 18, 2018, 05:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Had enough??
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Fishy247

QuoteHad enough??

Nope.  ;D

It may be a "mess", but it's made up of really cool STUFF!!

Love seeing the work spaces of the brilliant minds we have around here....

Eddie Hernandez

That's what I call Headquarters!!!
Awesome setup!!!!

Swami805

Love it! Looks like mine but neater. My wife calls it a mess, I call it my intricate organization system
Do what you can with that you have where you are

swill88

gstours

Looks well organized compared to my stuff.  We have a cat though for an inspector.  Fired the dog (lab) for sleeping 💤 on the job.🤷‍♂️

Dominick

Since kerosene was mentioned above I remember that when I was a teenager we used to use kerosene on the windshield when the windshield wipers were not working.  Rain would run off like using Rain-X.  Remember the vacuum wipers?  They would stall when you put your foot on the gas pedal.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kungajim

I've been using isopropyl alcohol to clean all the parts in my reels.  I don't see this cleaner in any of the comments here, so now I'm second guessing myself and figuring I'm doing something wrong.  I have assumed that it could continue to degrease after I put everything back together...

recently I've been using ardent reel kleen for the bearings. it seems to leave a oily residue, which I'm assuming is better than the alcohol.

seems like I should switch to simple green and vinegar.

any feedback would be great.

so many baits....so little time

oc1

Like dissolves like.  A grease made of hydrocarbons will dissolve more readily in a solvent made of hydrocarbons.  It is not that isopropyl won't do the job, it just does not dissolve grease as readily as some other solvents. 

Some solvents evaporate faster than others.  Sometimes this is an issue when cleaning stuff.  If the solvent dissolves the grease then the solvent quickly evaporates, the grease residue is left behind.  Things like acetone and isopropyl evaporate faster than things like mineral spirits.

If isopropyl is your preference and works then keep using it.

-steve

Tightlines667

Quote from: oc1 on April 30, 2018, 06:48:05 PM
Like dissolves like.  A grease made of hydrocarbons will dissolve more readily in a solvent made of hydrocarbons.  It is not that isopropyl won't do the job, it just does not dissolve grease as readily as some other solvents. 

Some solvents evaporate faster than others.  Sometimes this is an issue when cleaning stuff.  If the solvent dissolves the grease then the solvent quickly evaporates, the grease residue is left behind.  Things like acetone and isopropyl evaporate faster than things like mineral spirits.

If isopropyl is your preference and works then keep using it.

-steve

X2.

I might ad that iso works good on ceramic bearings that will run dry, since it cleans, then evaporates completely.  I like mineral spirits for bearings to be lubed with corrosion X, TSI, or packed with grease because it dissolves the old lube better, and leaves a light oily residue that helps lubricate.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.