What's Penn's largest level wind reel?

Started by festus, January 19, 2018, 07:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Just wondering if the Penn 309 is the largest level wind made by Penn? 

MarkT

The 309M is really big, rated for 450 yds of 80#. The Fathom 60 is rated for 280 yds of 60#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

festus

Yep, a local die hard Abu user told me a while back the Penn Fathom is the best catfish reel out there nowadays.  I believe him, because he hates Penns, lol.

I love my Penn No, 9 and whenever l can find a good deal on a 209 l'm getting one.  But lately I've been seeing some very reasonable prices on some vintage Penn 309.  I've never been a big fan of non-level wind reels even though I have a couple.

Keta

For strength the Shimano Tekota is the toughest LW I have ever worked on.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

The 345GTI is 5/0 size with bigger carbontex drags / sleeve / gears than 309. I think the 340 and 345 were designed for halibut fishing. The 330GTI is 309 size in capacity but also with beefier guts / drags and the GTI's have bigger LW's which I prefer for bigger shock leader knots to clear through. It'd have to be a heck of a cat to defeat a 309 with carbontex drags though.  I switch out 24-66 to power handles or 24-49 handles for 309 leverage though.  

mo65

Quote from: MarkT on January 19, 2018, 07:39:44 PM
The 309M is really big, rated for 450 yds of 80#.

You must mean 80lb. braid...that can't be mono. I think the 309 holds 350yds. of 30lb. mono. It casts best with the 30lb.

If you like the Peerless 9 and the 209 you'll like the 309 too Festus. It will take a Jigmaster 5-stack kit by Bryan, drops right in. Then she'll make enough power to get into the same trouble as those GTIs and GTOs...more motor than frame. Hee hee, aww, just don't button it down on a river barge and everything will be alright!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

akfish

The 340 and 345 have not been made for several years. The Squall 60LW (graphite frame) and Fathom 60LW (cast aluminum frame) are currently Penn's largest level winds; they each hold about 280 yards of 60# mono. If I needed a large level wind, I'd probably go with the Tekota 700 (the size of a 309) or 800 (larger).
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

MarkT

I think I saw the spectra number for the 309m.  It's rated as holding 250 yds of 40# (300 yds of 30#) while the Fathom and Squall 60LW holds 440 yds of 40#.  A 113h is rated for 370 yds of 40# so the Fathom 60 is pretty big.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

As much as I dislike Shimano I have to admit for a conventional reel with level wind the Tekota is hard to beat. Fathoms are good also. Is this just curiosity or what are you wanting to do with this reel? ...  Jeff

Shark Hunter

One of the very first Penn reels I acquired was a 309. I need to get that bad boy fishing.
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

I think most any catfisherdood my age has probably had one or several 309's. I found out they will self destruct if pushed hard all the time. ...Jeff

Keta

Keep the LW clean and lightly lubed and they do not come apart as often.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

No, this was from to much drag. I removed the level winds because of the sand. ...Jeff

Keta

Mark Twain

Rivverrat

I think it was 3 summers of big sturgeon & tightening the drag with pliers.  While I wouldnt do this now, no reason for abusing a reel, it was then an accepted practice amongst those I fished with... Jeff