Saltiga 50HK (blue spool) - drag problem or not?

Started by Kwagga, July 11, 2011, 12:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwagga

Hi Alan

First time on ur amazing site - very pleasant.

I bought a second hand Saltiga 50 HK with blue spool - there were almost no drag.
Bought carbontex with cals grease and replaced the standard drag.
Just want to find out the drag is much better but must there be any slipping in the drag if u tighten the stardrag until the end or not.
The drag stil slips when I tighten the drag but I don't know how tight can I really tighten the drag before something give in or brakes.
My saltist 40 drag (also with carbontex) is very tight after about 3 turns of the star drag - where it takes about 5 turns for same effect with the saltiga.

Can someone give advise please or help - don't know if something is wrong or not.

Would appreciate very much.

Regards Hein
"Fishing is part of life"

alantani

if an upgrade to greased carbon fiber does not give you a smooth progression, the first thing to check is see if you have spectra slipping on the spool.  as far as the drag increase with every turn of the star, that will vary from reel to reel.  the pitch of the threads will certainly make a difference.  european metric is different from asian metric.  even in the US, penn has a fine thread pitch and a coarse thread pitch for jigmasters.  third, there are spring washers that will dampen the effect when you turn the star.  and lastly, the star could "bottom out" against the frame or even "top out" against the handle. 

bottom line, if the reel gives you a smooth 15 pounds of drag, you're good!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Kwagga

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply - I checked the drag last night again and it still slips when its fully tighten - I take about 3 meters of line and pull from the reel and still slips - not the same affect on my saltist 40, speedmaster and sl30 sh which basicly locks as I tigten the drag.

I pull on the line and same time turn the drag and not much difference. I removed all the Cals grease and run it dry - same effect.

The drag is very smooth all the time - I even put in a extra spring washer but still slip. In the schematics the top metal drag is not flat like mine.

What can I do to solve this problem - I'm very frustrated.

Which parts play a major role in the reel slipping? If u could help please. Don't u have a blue spool saltiga 50 hk that u can check for me if possible?

Regards Hein

kamuwela

have you checked the drag with a scale? are you getting 15 pound's?

Kwagga

Will check with scale tonight and let u know thanks!

alantani

Kwagga

Hi Alan

Sorry but what do u mean by bottom out?

I tested  the drag of a new HKP today and defenitly huge difference.

Just tested my drag only about 6 pound and the star is tight so something is wrong.

Hope this help in solving problem.

Regards Hein

alantani

When you crank the star down clockwise, do you hit a point where the star stops and cannot turn clockwise anymore?

Kwagga

Yes but then the stardrag is very very tight it will turn little more but its to tight

Nessie Hunter

If the Braid is NOT slipping ...

Then Micrometer the drag stack, a washer or plate may be missing or to thin, the Under washer could be missing.. (washer under the main gear)....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Kwagga

I checked all the parts are there.

I put a extra washer (small one) just on top of the last metal drag washer for extra pressure from the top collar.

Seems a bit better - but still don't know if it can be done like this - the star drag still nedds to be turned very tight.

Alto Mare

Looks like you're slowly solving your own problem, from what you mentioned it appears to be a drag issue. What did you mean when you said that you added a small washer? It is usually ok to add an additional washer, wether metal or carbon, but it's a good idea to be of the same diameter as the rest, if you've added a metal washer ( of the same diameter) try placing it on top of the stack, right under the tension spring, also check the tension spring itself. Is the tension spring under the spacer or over it?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Kwagga

The Saltiga 50 has a small washer under the collar that sits on top of the last metal drag washer.

It seems that washer helps the most with pressure so I added another one and the drag pressure increased a bit.

So I ordered 2 extra of those with 2 extra spring washers and extra bearing washers to increase the thickness of the stack for more pressure.

Basically solved my own problem - thought I would get more response from Alan but anyway.

Will let u guys know how it goes.

alantani

can you measure the drag and let us know how much drag you're actually getting?  

Kwagga

At this moment without the extra small washer fitted about 6/7 pounds.

Didn't check with extra washer - must be about 10 pounds.

But I must check and let u know.

What is the best way to check the drag pressure - directly from the reel or must I put reel onto rod and then how long must the line be taken out when measuring??

Let me know