My "New" project boat !!!

Started by Carl L, February 10, 2018, 01:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl L

Ok, I've been driving down my block everyday for a year looking at this bayliner. Curiosity finally got me, so I stopped and inquired...  Needless to say, It was for sale (guys wife wanted it out of the yard).. So, two weeks later, I scrounged some cash and called they guy back and bought it.. The adventure, however; began with pulling it out of his yard 100 plus feet to the road... First, you attach a 1994 gmc 1500 to it (the boat), then you attach a heavy tow strap to front of gmc, then other end of that to rear of your helpers 1996 dodge 2500.. (Should work right???).. The answe to that is uhh, no....(boat moved forward almost 6 inches before back end of gmc sinks a foot).... Hmm.... scratch head, disconnect dodge, and drive home for more gear.. neigbor had massive 6 inch aluminum C channel pieces 8 ft long whoopee!! Ok, now head back to buried gmc connected to boat, and start jacking on the two 3 ton commercial floor jacks... Now, truck is level and has massive C channel under both back tires... Groovy right ??   No, boat tires (4 of them) are 6 plus inches deep.. Pull harder right ??   You betcha !!   Now, re-attach Dodge to GMC thats pulling boat, and Dodge and Gmc go sideways... Hmm.. Just a little more power is needed... Oh, and here comes a neighbor in a huge Powerstroke !! After begging, he allowed me to tie a massive, I mean 7 inch wide strap to the powerstroke, that to the dodge, and dodge to Gmc pulling stuck boat.. You get the picture right ? (A parade) As the Powestroke turbo started to make awesome noise, the dodge 2500 with a 360 started to rattle its glasspacks, and My Gmc 350 rattling its custom exhaust, (I'm telling ya, the cocophany was beautiful !! Then there was this huge suction noise as all 3 vehicles slid sideways, (turbos and glasspacks and custom cat-back system all harmonizing); And the boat levitated!!  Out the driveway the three of us went with my new toy !!! Yaaay !!.. Once I pulled a block home, and hosed the mud off, the tires looked low. It just so happened that one of my intelligent friends was observing the parade, and made the statement that a one cubic foot of water is over 8 lbs. Hmmm, I wonder how many cubic feet of water is in the bilge?? I'm not an engineer, but the siphon hose is still running.. And here she is in all her slimy glory..  225hp chevy/volvo/penta, depthfinder, fishfinder, trim tabs, refridgerator, rod holders, built in tackle box, stereo, searchlight, windshield wiper, air horn, etc,etc... All for $600 bucks with title... Was it worth it??   You Betcha !!

Carl L

The pics..

Rivverrat

The purchase price seems fine in fact its a deal if you were to peice it all out & sell.  But your not doing that. This will be an adventure for you.  I hope a happy one... Jeff  

George6308

Boat: hole in water into which one throws money.

MarkT

BOAT is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. This looks like a BOATT (10k) plus a tonnage of sweat equity. You must really need a hobby!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Sounds like some project fun!

Alrighty then, that's my boat, but really I's testing my system 'cause I couldn't post a picture yesterday. Really looks like you'll be learnin about boat construction and maintenance. Yeah, payin out some too, but everyone probably knows that already.
Believe it or not, I'm into that yak for $4,000+ With the purchase price and the integrated electronic motor system.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Penn Chronology

Looks like a Bayliner 25 Trophy, mid 1990's. Great boat, very simple. Verify the structures after a good cleaning. Keep the pictures comings, the project does not look too difficult. It will cost you. If you do not want to spend money on it, you should clean it best you can and put a For Sale sign on it. If the boat is sound, you should make $5000.

Carl L

1986 trophy.. I own my own shop. Outdrives are easy, and fibreglass is no problem (does'nt need glass anyways). I've never bought a "working" boat. That would be expensive. My first was a 1960 elgin 40hp. I was so proud of her new interior and polish and tuning. When I went to the ramp on a beautiful day and she sputtered and died in the cold water (took 10 min to adjust the carbs). This guy backs in next to me in a beautiful big block metalflake jet boat), scoffs, tells me YOU SHOULD BUY A BETTER BOAT, and rocks me with his wake as he roars off(violently causing me to cut my hand on the engine)..(we were the only boats at the ramp). Two hours later, I see this jerk broken down with his hydraulic engine cover open waving a flag. Being the good boater that I am, I pull up to him and say "engine problems"??? And he says yah... I then quickly asked if he had plenty of sunscreen and water for himself and his girlfriend. He said yes. I asked was he sinking? and were there any medical emergencies?.. He said no, So I said ............................... (wait for it)............................... YOU SHOULD BUY A BETTER BOAT !!
HAHAA... And zoomed away..   

Rivverrat

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 10, 2018, 02:45:15 AM
Looks like a Bayliner 25 Trophy, mid 1990's. Great boat, very simple. Verify the structures after a good cleaning. Keep the pictures comings, the project does not look too difficult. It will cost you. If you do not want to spend money on it, you should clean it best you can and put a For Sale sign on it. If the boat is sound, you should make $5000.

If you choose to continue in this adventure the advice given above will at some point play numerous times in your head. I repeat before proceeding have it checked out by some one  licensed to do so. You can at this point recoup easily what you have in it even if the hull turns out to be a loss. Just the drive alone if operable is worth more than $1000 & thats not counting what ever rigging & the motor..Jeff

Rivverrat

OK, good you have an idea & arent just running dumb & blind. Do post pics as you go along I find stuff like this of great interest & good luck with it... Jeff

Carl L

Gfish, your boat is Cool!!    I count 3 custom reels, two spinners; what i think is a fishfinder also.. too slick man.. dig the custom rodholders. You're giving me ideas.

Bill B

Cool beans Carl......will be looking forward to the progress....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Carl don't let anything said in this thread discourage you.  That boat has not had love in a long time.  You are its savior.  You give it lots of TLC and it will give you lots of fun and pleasure.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

I was not in any way wanting to be a discouragement. I just think as one who has had great intentions met with mountains of agravation & hardship in these endeavors but yet not beat down by these past experiences enough to kill my desire to do it again. Its a good thing that some one know or be aware of what can happen. Maybe my experience can help save them some of my own bad experience.

It seems that he very well in fact does know & is quite happy to carry on. Which is a good thing... Jeff

Miles Offshore

Good luck and have fun Carl, sounds like you have a good working knowledge and shouldnt be a problem. I recently finished a total rebuild on my 1978 Seacraft in 2015, and also did my brothers 1974 13' Boston Whaler. Always updating the big boat my friend owns and to be honest is quite enjoyable. Have fun and take your time, took me two years to finish my seacraft, secret is when you get tired of it , take a break until you feel like getting back on it. So much to do when you get down to it!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.