Vintage reel models in 2011?

Started by CapeFish, July 13, 2011, 12:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonitaBch

Penn still has a lot going for it ... I bought Penn equipment because I knew I could find parts & service anywhere that I would be fishing.  I think the Penn Baja - 113HN is an awesome reel - very capable, also very sharp design.  I think Penn should modernize their line with a 3/0, 2/0, and 1/0 similiar in design to the Baja Special  (maybe focus a little on weight reduction in the smaller sizes).  If wishes were fishes ...
Bonita Beach, FL

broadway

You guys are right on about the generation gap... I'm 36 y/o in a few hours (3/16).  Before I got on this site, and started working on all of my reels I went for the high tech stuff like calcutta te's, duel, etc. I have since realized that I can turn my 12lb's of drag to 25 lbs. with some TLC, elbow grease, and good old fashion ingenuity from some hard core reel guys (you guys).
There's nothing like fishing a 50 year old reel, and landing a solid fish in front of your crew to show 'em how it's done ;)
PS- They still make the 12/0 and 14/0 in the USA, at least that's what I've been told by some real reliable sources.
Best of luck,
Dom

Alto Mare

Happy birthday bro, hope you have a great day. Wow! 36. At 36 I didn't need a reel to catch fish, I used to dive and catch' em with my bare hands ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Happy birthday Dom!
And straight into St Patrick's the following day - well timed sir! ;) ;D
All the best and many happy returns mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Hey Justin, remind Sal why he didn't really use a reel... they weren't invented yet when he was 36!  ;D
Thanks for the birthday wishes guys!
Hope y'all have a happy and safe St. Patty's Day
Dom

alantani

yeah, happy birthday.  i'm sending out the gear sleeves. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on March 16, 2012, 03:33:25 AM
Hey Justin, remind Sal why he didn't really use a reel... they weren't invented yet when he was 36!  ;D
Thanks for the birthday wishes guys!
Hope y'all have a happy and safe St. Patty's Day
Dom
Good one Justin.  Dom when I was 36 I wasn't trolling for fish.  I had more success trolling for alternate species.  dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Having a line of reels built on the technology and basis of the 113HN would be pretty slick. Can you imagine how a 2/0 or 3/0 size would cast?
Happy birthday Dom and Wallace! I just turned 61 myself.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

wallacewt

its not my birthday rob,i was just pullin the chain.
and im not having anymore,when i kick my toe now it hurts.

broadway

Happy Birthday Rob... like a fine wine you just get better with age!
Thanks Alan... as soon as I get 'em I'll send out the dues.
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on March 16, 2012, 04:45:30 PM
Dom

And then it turns into vinegar ;D
But not you of course Rob, happy birthday bud and wishing many many more. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Happy birthday Rob - hope it was a great day.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Oops. The post digressed from vintage reels to vintage reel users. ;D

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 16, 2012, 04:57:22 PM
Quote from: broadway on March 16, 2012, 04:45:30 PM
Dom

And then it turns into vinegar ;D

The best vinegar you'll ever have! :D :D
Thanks, Dom, Sal, and Justin.

And Wallace gets me again. ::)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Joker

Coming back to the original topic :)

As a youngster, my first reel was a Penn 49 narrow spool. Still own it.  Caught some great fish with it. Need a new handle for it.  There are still some older folk using this reel from our(South African) shores. As a matter of fact, they swear by it and do not want to switch to newer models.

My second reel was a Penn 500 jigmaster. I own two now :) I think I'll give it a spin some time soon :)

My third reel was the Penn 555 GS. Bit on the big side. Still got the job done. 

Then Penn went "quiet". No more new designs available in RSA, except for the boat reels.  And as most of my friends, I also, switched to the Shimano and Daiwa brand. My favourite being the sl30sh. Small, robust and casts a mile.  My Tor30, with some "pimping", my go to shark reel.   

Then Penn released their Torque range in South Africa. This caused quite a stir, but the price tag was/is still a major factor.

Arrive the Penn Fathom. You won't believe it. This reel was released on our shores and was sold out within a week or two. We had to pre-order the Fathom if you really wanted one. Some had a few hiccups with the AR bearing rusting, but Penn sorted that out.

Viva Penn.
I LOVE
it when
MY WIFE
lets me go fishing

basto

Quote from: BonitaBch on March 15, 2012, 07:08:49 PM
Penn still has a lot going for it ... I bought Penn equipment because I knew I could find parts & service anywhere that I would be fishing.  I think the Penn Baja - 113HN is an awesome reel - very capable, also very sharp design.  I think Penn should modernize their line with a 3/0, 2/0, and 1/0 similiar in design to the Baja Special  (maybe focus a little on weight reduction in the smaller sizes).  If wishes were fishes ...
I totally agree! The Baja fixed all that was wanting in the 113h. The new Torques are nice but would be nicer if those dogs could bark.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n