Vintage reel models in 2011?

Started by CapeFish, July 13, 2011, 12:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Hi,

Why do reel manufacturers continue to produce old models? Vehicle manufacturers keep on introducing new models as technology advances and dropping the old. Why does this not happen with reels? Granted, reels are not as high tech as cars, but still why does Penn still manufacturer the Jigmaster and Daiwa the LD50H? Do lots of people still use the Jigmaster in the States and if yes why? Is it that much cheaper than say the 555 GS?

Thanks
Leon

Bryan Young

The true answer is $$$.  These reels are still being sold and used, but have been upgraded slightly.  For example, the new jigmasters comes with HT-100 drag washers, and I believe stainless steel part versus brass.

If you want a reliable work horse at a reasonable price, my first recommendation would be a jigmaster considering they are fishing with mono in the 15-30# class (although we have put 40# or even 50# shore casting off the cliffs in Hawaii).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 13, 2011, 04:14:09 PM
If you want a reliable work horse at a reasonable price, my first recommendation would be a jigmaster considering they are fishing with mono in the 15-30# class (although we have put 40# or even 50# shore casting off the cliffs in Hawaii).

The jigmaster is an old (52+ years in production) workhorse. It was designed right.  There are many deckhands and anglers in southern California using them to catch school-sized tuna (20-30 pounds or 10-15 kilos) as well as smaller bottom fish. The bushings hardly ever wear out, a few of Alan's upgrades, and some minor maintenance on a reel that cost $60-70USD new builds a real keeper. I might even get another one. ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Tile

Another good example of vintage reels still in production are the Senator and Levelwind series from Penn. Although the larger sized Senators are no longer in production, the smaller sized ones are still in production. The newer GTI/GTO series have their gear train modelled after the Senator series geartrain because it stood the test of time very well.
Another vintage series of reels still in production is the SS series of spinning reels from Daiwa because of their simple and robust design.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

It's also the same with the Daiwa Black Gold Spinners.  I've had mine for 30+ years now and they are still manufactured and used today.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CapeFish

Thanks for all the replies guys.

It now makes sense. I suppose the US market is so big that if you have a reliable product that everyone knows it will continue selling. Its just that here in South Africa I can not remember when last I saw anyone fishing with a new jigmaster or the old Daiwa 50H reels. The BG spinning reels are still used and fairly popular, considering that you rarely see a spinning reel of the beach. I had a jigmaster some 20 odd years ago and it had HT100 washers. I still remember that I decided to replace them, without schematics and my friends had a good laugh at me as it took a while. The thing is, if you can still get one of those older generation reels here, they are not that cheap and for an equivalent price or slightly more you can buy a high speed, good casting reel, even an Omoto that won't swallow your line and crank in line quickly over the rocks.

redsetta

All fair points, CapeFish, but I'm yet to see an Omoto that will stand the test of time.
In my experience, their design has been derivative and the materials of fair to middling quality.
All my workhorse reels are either Penn or Shimano, and all have seen a lot of action over many, many years.
I've got drawers filled with newer reels that are effectively irreparable due to bad design or low quality alloys etc.
Bryan's also right that dollars have a significant impact.
I maintain reels for a couple of guys who fish a handful of times a year and wouldn't even call themselves 'fishos'. That hasn't stopped them from purchasing $1000+ Stellas, though.
My view is that the best fisherman is the happiest one - regardless of gear.
PS Sounds like South Africa has some cracker fishing - love to see some pictures if you have 'em.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Capefish,

It all depends on what you're looking for and availability, I guess.  We don't use high speed here for much of anything (sea bass, blackfish, fluke, blues, stripers, etc), so those fancy high speeders wouldn't serve my purpose as well as say, a "SENATOR"  ;)  ... my first born will be named Otto (just kidding... that would be mean.)  Also, what year did HT-100 come out... didn't think they've been around 20 years?
PS- the only reel I like more than the jigmaster in that class is the Daiwa 50H (it can handle a lot of abuse)

Tile,
     They don't make the 1/0 or 2/0 any more either  :'(  ... but I like the way you think (Senator fan)
Dom

alantani

i wish i could have been able to make the final decision on the penn baja special 113hn.  i would have told them to simply narrow the penn 113h and the 114h and then bring back the narrow jigmasters and squidders.  they could have saved so much money.........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Pen HT 100 is in their 1989, 89B Inst & Parts Manual (22years) how time flies!

Tile

The old school Ambassadeur series from Abu Garcia is still in production and usage. They are very popular for long distance casting because of their floating spool design. For these reels there are aftermarket parts available (frames, drag washers, bearings and magnet kits).

CapeFish

I think perhaps that Jigmaster/Senator type reels are not that well suited to our shore and offshore fishing and possiblly, Penn lost their presence here. So now people rather choose Japanese reels, mainly Shimano or Daiwa.  For shore angling here a high speed reel is a great help, as is line capacity and casting ability and line swallowing with 0.45 or 0.40 lines is a big no-no. Ambasadeurs are limited in their line holding capacity and have always been very expensive here. Lure anglers and light tackle boat anglers might use them though.

Tile, yes we do have times of very good fishing and you can catch some enourmous skates and sharks from shore, as in 200kg! We do this with casting tackle, not stand up offshore tackle. So do the Namibians. Also along  the more tropical coast line you can pick up big GT if you are lucky.

This has been a very interesting exchange on tackle use across the world I should have changed the topic! :) :) :)

Tile

Daiwa still makes the Sealine classic line of reels which is based on the Senator gear train. Their improvement is the one piece aluminium frame and sideplates. To me is an improvement on a design classic and the prospect that it will serve with excellence for many years.

Makule

Quote from: alantani on July 14, 2011, 05:42:08 AM
i wish i could have been able to make the final decision on the penn baja special 113hn.  i would have told them to simply narrow the penn 113h and the 114h and then bring back the narrow jigmasters and squidders.  they could have saved so much money.........

Help me to understand this.  What is the objective of making them narrow?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

spottybastard

Narrowing a reel like the 500 Jigmaster to a 501 gives you a little more cranking power.