how to clean ball bearings

Started by seaeagle2, July 19, 2011, 11:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

I tried a couple searches and didn't find an answer.  What do you guys use to clean ball bearing before packing them...
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bryan Young

If you are using a bearing packer, they you don't need to clean them.  By forcing new grease in, old grease gets pushed out.  If you are opening up the shields, you could clean them with carb cleaner, air dried, then packed, and replace the shields (if you can).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JGB

For clarity:

If the bearing are good just pack with the Tani Grease packer. Old grease will be displaced and ejected from the bearing as Bryan had described.
If the bearings are a little gritty you can open (removable shields) and clean with carb cleaner, pack with grease and replace the shields.
Alternate is to go ahead and pack and see if the junk is cleared out of the bearing.
If the bearings have pressed in shields (the metal type that get destroyed when removed) try packing. If that does not work replace the bearing.

Jim N.

mako42

Could starter fluid be used to degrease the ball bearings?     David

Nuvole

I normally remove the shield and soak them in kerosene for a couple of hours, then dry them before packing new grease. 

Bryan Young

Quote from: mako42 on July 25, 2011, 07:14:53 AMCould starter fluid be used to degrease the ball bearings?     David
Hi David, I'm not sure.  Never used that stuff except to start fires.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: mako42 on July 25, 2011, 07:14:53 AM
Could starter fluid be used to degrease the ball bearings?     David
If you're referring to charcoal starter fluid, it's basically de-scented kerosene. It'll work. Engine starter (fluid?) is ether. It will just put you to sleep. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

mako42

I'm talking about the spray can starter fluid with ether.  I haven't used it for degreasing, but I heard from a mechanic that it really dissolves grease and gunk, and doesnt leave a residue.  He liked it better than carb cleaner and said the can had alot of pressure to clean.  I take it from the responses that no one has tried this.  I'll report on how it works, if I can stay awake.  ;D  David

Mangi

I let my bearings (Actually all parts) soak in Benzine for about 15min.  Then i shake them a little in the benzine for the grease to "wash" out.  Cleans out all old grease and oil.  Lay them out on a paper towel to dry and then let them soak in bearing oil for about 10min.  Take them out and let the excess oil drip off on a paper towel and replace.

"For those about to Rock, We salute You!" AC/DC

Alto Mare

I use carburator cleaner to break up the grease, thanks to these guys here, also a shot of air is just as important. No matter how good you soak the bearings, sometimes there will still be some small particles of sand , metal or dried up grease in them that just won't come out unless you hit them with air, I use compressed air in a can. I then soak them in TSI 301. If you're going to install them open without shields, that's about all you'll need to do. I only do this when the bearings don't feel like they should to me, if you're new at it, you will know what I'm talking about just by feeling a few. Most times, you only need the bearing packer and forget about everything else, I really like mine. Every once in a while all of the above won't work, that's when it's time to toss that bearing and purchase a new one.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trishul

i use soapy water and my brothers tooth brush then rinse with fresh water then dry it, i have also stolen and tried my mothers cleaning lime and nailpolish remover  ;D, however i plan on getting hold of some carb cleaner  :)

conniek

in my shop, we use Ronsonal lighter fluid. And a bottle cap. We just swish the bearings in lighter fluid and let air dry or use air, spin and listen and watch. if no spin for a length of time or up to ear and spin does not sound good, we repeat the process.
We offer training to those lucky folks who want to go into this exciting biz of rod and reel repair or learn how to repair their own reels. We also have a "Fishing Reel Maintenance" video on the market today.Come learn the biz and makes lots of money. :) maybe not.
Gary Yamamato staff for over 10 y

blktwr2660

Hey Guy's It's me again 8),After hearing all this talk about cleaning and repacking bearings I got to thinking :P My Penns have shielded bearings,should I repack them or replace and start from there ?.I have had any problems so far,BUT you never know :-\
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

trishul

you can remove the shields on the bearings and repack them, some bearings u may need to replace the shields depends on how u open them but its not always necessary i think to replace the shield

Norcal Pescador

If you clean the bearings and they still feel bad toss 'em and get new ones. If you can get the shields out without damage, then clean, repack and replace the shields.
For conventional reels you want to cast with, oil the spool bearings. If you aren't worried about casting distance, grease all of the bearings. You can grease all bearings on spinners, also.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD